Aftermarket stereo faceplate trim for a 2004?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
scottrainey
Car: 2004 Pathfinder LE 3.5L 4WD Platinum Edition

I just acquired a 2004 Platinum Edition, and it had the stock disc changer/cassette/radio unit. I took it to a radio installer and had them swap out the Kenwood from my '01. (I took the stock stereo out myself to save a little on the labor charge).

When I got it back from them, they said I was missing a trim piece, basically the surround around the double-din stereo head unit. I told them I didn't think there was any such piece, and when I got home and looked at the stock stereo I was right: the fascia is this odd shape that fits into the dash, and the double-din unit is connected to a front control panel which cannot be removed.

So, I'm left with massive gaps around my newly-installed stereo. :mad:

Does anyone know of a source for a pre-made trim piece that rectifies this? I've ordered a generic, trim to fit one, but I'm worried it's going to look junky.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

For the Pioneer system I put in my '02, I used the Metra 95-7417 dash kit to fill those gaps around the face, giving it a factory installed look. This should work with your '04 and the Kenwood as well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K50GF4/?th=1

Be careful installing this. They are flimsy and easy to break until everything is put together.
Here's a Kenwood with the Metra part installed in a '99 Frontier, to give you an idea what it looks like.
Attachments
Kenwood and Metra.JPG

scottrainey

Thanks so much for that - I ordered it on Amazon. I'm just worried that the funky shape of the spot where the radio fits in the dash will still leave gaps. My '01 didn't have this problem - the stock dash opening was the basic double din rectangle. My '04 has this weird extended, rounded shape on the right. I'll post a photo later.

scottrainey

Here's a photo of the stereo that was in my '04. As you can see, it's kind of a weird shape, and when you put a regular double din stereo in as a replacement, you get the annoying gaps. Hopefully the trim bezel you recommended will work, or maybe the cut to fit one I found.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230924_205955_eBay.jpg
Weird 2004 stock stereo

Hawairish
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD

That radio.

So, I don't think I've seen a trim ring for those radios/bezels. Other Pathfinders had regular DIN-ish radios and bezels, so it was less of a problem (still small gaps). Your main option here is to get a sheet of 1/16" ABS and cut to shape.

scottrainey

Yeah, it doesn't seem that such a thing exists. However, I did manage to find what I think will be the perfect solution: I found on eBay the entire day piece that goes around the radio and HVAC. The vast majority of the ones for sale are for the '01-'03 (and maybe earlier) where the configuration is different (the easiest way to tell is the '04 refresh moved the hazard lights to a round button on the upper left, and the HVAC controls are totally redone). Anyway, I'm scrolling through eBay and I see a ton of the older style bezels and a few of the ones I have, and then I hit what I hope is paydirt: a bezel with the '04 configuration AND a regular, rectangular double-din opening. Swapping out should be really simple. Here's a photo of it:
Attachments
Screenshot_20230926_220848_eBay.jpg

R50JR
Car: 03 pathfinder le

scottrainey wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:09 pm
Yeah, it doesn't seem that such a thing exists. However, I did manage to find what I think will be the perfect solution: I found on eBay the entire day piece that goes around the radio and HVAC. The vast majority of the ones for sale are for the '01-'03 (and maybe earlier) where the configuration is different (the easiest way to tell is the '04 refresh moved the hazard lights to a round button on the upper left, and the HVAC controls are totally redone). Anyway, I'm scrolling through eBay and I see a ton of the older style bezels and a few of the ones I have, and then I hit what I hope is paydirt: a bezel with the '04 configuration AND a regular, rectangular double-din opening. Swapping out should be really simple. Here's a photo of it:
@hawairish messaged me about this earlier and I figured I should chime in before you waste your money on that bezel.

The bezel in the photo you included is the exact same that you already have (03-04 LE & Platinum). The angle of the camera makes it look different. Nissan did not make a bezel with straight edges for the bose head unit.

The kit you want is metra 99-9999. You can cut the abs to fit.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”