Aftermarket Center Console Cup Holders - With larger openings!

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Elton Noway
Car: 2009 Rogue SL FWD Phantom White Black Cloth

Hi, I searched the forum and couldn't find anything on this. Sorry if I missed it.

Is anyone aware of any aftermarket inserts for the center console cup holders? My wife chose the Rogue over the competition, if for nothing else, the size of the cup holders (or so she thought)

At first glance it appears the console accepts two different cup sizes. One large... one smaller. However, only one inch down from the top, the larger opening reduces in diameter down to the same size as the smaller one.

The spring loaded catch on the larger opening is nice for holding soda bottles and cans in place but the opening won't accept anything much larger that a normal 16 ounces can or bottle. Some cup holders... like on the Nissan Quest have 3 retractable clips that retract to accept larger containers and spring back to hold smaller drinks. (A much better design) When I'm on the road I like to grab large fountain drinks in cups. Neither opening in the Rogue is large enough to accept a normal large size cup carried by every 7-Eleven, Circle K and drive-thru in the country. And I'm not talking about a one of those fall in and drown Big Gulp drinks... just a normal 32 ounces large!

I also have a favorite insulated coffee mug I take to work every morning. Same problem. The mug is only 20 ounces, has straight sides and only 3 1/2 inches in diameter... yet... it won't fit. So... here I am... still holding my drinks between my legs, all because the Nissan designers think nobody drinks anything in containers larger than 16 ounces. (Probably the same Nissan designer who decided the Rogue didn't need a locking fuel door.)

The good news is it appears the cup holder portion of the console is an insert that could be popped out and replaced. I've been looking at the various Rogue accessory web sites but haven't found any replacement cup holders (one that really has a large opening instead of an optical illusion). Anybody know of one? If not... maybe one of the accessory shops will stumble across this thread and start offering them. Nothing more than a bucks work of plastic. Small investment, good return.
Modified by Elton Noway at 10:08 AM 5/10/2009

philipa_240sx

I don't know why this is the case. Nissan USA engineers have been good at putting large cupholders in thier vehicles. The '02-06 Altima had HUGE cupholders... to the point it was hard to lift small coffee cups out of them!

The Rogue appears to have gotten short changed for some reason. Unfortunately the interior parts for the Rogue are unique and only some parts shared with another Nissan: The Rogue's twin brothers, Qashqai in the UK and the Dualis in Japan. However they have a different console design, with no liner for the cupholder. Unfortunately, you are pretty much stuck using the cup holder without the liner if you need more 'room'.

Qashqai/Dualis Interior pics courtesy Nissan Europe:

sileung

I find the cup holders to be more than enough to hold my drinks. I usually order a large coffee and it hold it's snug so it doesn't splash all over the place. Also, if I use my coffee mug, it is deep enough preventing it from falling out on hard turns. I love the feature of being able to take out the holder for cleaning and this is the first time I've seen this in any car.

mlmcgahee
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5s

My cup holders work fine 99% of the time. If I need more room for a larger cup I just remove the cup holder insert and it fits.

Return to “Rogue Forum”