Aftermarket Air Cleaner

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Jap Burd
Car: ‘95 Q45

Anyone running a AM Aircleaner, like the cone type,I don’t even think they make one anymore do they?
Any perf gains?

Ryantzer
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45

Replacing the factory airbox with an open-element air filter is a great way to lose horsepower, unless it's somehow enclosed to prevent hot underhood air from being ingested by the engine. The factory airbox receives supply air at ambient exterior temperature - underhood air has just passed through a stack of 200+ degree heat exchangers and is far less dense due to it's temperature, so it will be losing far more power than any additional airflow from the open filter might be able to offset.

I find it genuinely disappointing that it's common for open element intake systems to be marketed as "cold air intakes" when they actually do the exact opposite. It's a modification that ranks right up there with LED headlamp bulbs installed in housings designed for halogen bulbs - done by people who have no real automotive knowledge about what they're doing, merely because they see everyone else doing it.

Skibane
Car: 2000 Q45 AE 110K

Ryantzer wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:30 pm
It's a modification that ranks right up there with LED headlamp bulbs installed in housings designed for halogen bulbs - done by people who have no real automotive knowledge about what they're doing, merely because they see everyone else doing it.
Yeh, that's what I used to think

(I agree with you about "cold air intake" systems, BTW)

Jap Burd

The true test would be on a dyno, but I won’t be doing that.

Ludeaem
Car: 2000 Infiniti Q45 AE

A dyno won't be accurate to real world conditions though. Your hood is up and cool air being blown on the motor so less heat soak. I did an intake on my y33 and I have a post if you search but basically was chastised for good reason. If you want some sound, it'll get the job done. Beyond that, you will need to create a heatshield to enclose the filter (with the air scoop in place) to get the best of both worlds.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Bottom line, not a smart use of money if you're looking for more HP.

Upgrade the exhaust - WAY more bang for the buck.

Jap Burd

The Aircleaner box breathes from behind the headlights housing, can’t imagine that being good, about the exhaust, it just seems to just be deteriorating, both cat heat shields fell off already, also some clamps don’t look like they will be falling off soon, lol. Stilled used to have a nice system, but I haven’t seen any in years. It just looks like the pipes are real small on my ‘95 too. I’d like to dump the whole system. Up on Woodward, you see a group of people that hot rodded new cadillacs, you should see and hear the cars, I need to talk to these guys. My exhaust guy is gone I always used, he was like an artist. Who made the system they used to sell Borla? Gibson, can’t remember.

cbird805
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45
1995 Infiniti Q45 Base
(prev) 1994 Infiniti Q45 Base

I believe JWT still sells one for the q45. No air box, just the cone type filter.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”