After market head unit 2004 maxima

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
DagNDis1
Car: 2004 nissan maxima

How do I put an aftermarket head unit where the current screen is? I can't find any information on what it takes to do that install.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

I think you're gonna pull up the shifter knob, then the shifter trim cover to expose a couple of screws, take those out, then pull the whole center console towards you. The stereo stuff is inside that assembly. You'll want a double din stereo to go in it's place...
watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJY2J2vVsak

Welcome to NICO Club!

What stereo will you install?

DagNDis1
Car: 2004 nissan maxima

So to begin with, I thank you for your response, however unfortunately I don't think I was as specific as I should have been... The matter of taking everything apart isn't where my issue is, though I do appreciate the link because that video does give me a better look at the back 5hen I've seen to this point.

My issue is that I'm wanting to take the screen at the top of the dash that controls the climate and replace that I think with an AVH-NEX 4200 pioneer deck. I have that one in my truck and I'm a big fan so I'll get another.

The thing is though is that all of the videos for replacing the factory with aftermarket nearly all say to put the new double din where the cd and cassette player are... That's not where I want it. I want the factory screen in that location and the aftermarket up top.

What I've been told are thoughts on why people haven't done it that way or don't do it that way but nothing solid and factual.

If the data cables are the issue and don't extend that far or move in that direction, how do I change that. If that's not the issue then what is the reasoning??

Sure I could step out of the box and do a custom install, and I'm really ok with doing that, but I'd like to know a little more about what I'm getting into with wiring, wiring harnesses, and where to go if I need extra of some things...

Hope this helps to clarify my original post.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Sorry for the slow response. It's been a while and I wonder what progress you've made in your planning and approach. I read your post and wasn't sure what to say.

What you are describing is a component location swap (and maybe a stereo upgrade). Because the components you want to swap will have frames and mounting bolts/ screws and wires specific to each component, they will not swap easily. By easily, I mean, they aren't modular components that would just switch locations and bolt up. First you'll have to contemplate the depth into the dash that each component goes. If one is deeper than the other, it will likely not fit in the other place because of HVAC stuff right behind. Maybe it fits. Then, you'll have to extend and shorten the harnesses and that is a relatively easy task when it comes to electronics. You'll need to fab up a frame to interface between the dash location and the component chassis. Aluminum strips from the hardware store might work. Perhaps the screens are of the same size and you can use the OEM bevels, but likely, you'll need a custom trim bevel (this could be done with aluminum or wood or maybe 3d printed).

You are definitely 'stepping outside the box' and doing a custom install. For some, that's a great reason to do it.

We can help with some stuff. If you need a wiring diagram or oem details please let us know.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”