After lower control arm and ball joint replacement - what is THIS symptom?

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
cfauvel

So just finished replacing the lower control arms , outer tie rods and lower ball joints on a 2005 G35 sedan

The symptom is when I turn the wheel left or right near the full rotation, the wheels wanto grab and immediately finish the turn quickly lock in that direction. I have to hold the steering wheel from shooting left or right after a certain angle of the steering wheel.

I haven't taken the car to the alignment shop, yet...but not sure there is anything OTHER than toe-in that is adjustable.

Would too much toe-in create this symptom?

I suspect it is the other control arm (rearward facing - from knuckle to body to set the caster) But they look fine.

g35_rearward_control_arm.png
g35_rearward_control_arm.png (91.04 KiB) Viewed 875 times

cfauvel

Spoke to a buddy of mine...he believes the symptom is caster related and that me tightening everything with the car up in the air/unloaded has things out of spec.

was going to take it in for alignment anyway.

I wasn't having the symptom with the bad bushings in the control arm, so it has to be something peculiar with my installation of the new parts.

cfauvel

UPDATE: all is good after the alignment. The caster number DIDN'T change at all from Before/After...but they said there were some loose bolts...hmm I remember torquing them down to specs.

What I THINK happened is that I tightened everything with the car jacked up, so there is was no load on the suspension....thus got things out of wack.

Now to do the same thing on the 350z.

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”