AEM Failsafe Wideband / Boost Gauge

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
GTR PrYdE
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX, 2003 Evolution VIII

Have yall seen this yet? It's about 300 bucks and looks like another option for safety on our low-tech ECU's. Not sure if any Nistune or MS can provide a function like this, but this seems like a great idea to prevent a engine from going boom. AMS did a write up using this with a 3-Port Boost Control Solenoid to groud/bypass a boost controller to lower boost in a lean condition.

Any one get one yet?

Discuss!

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Where's the link? :poke:

http://www.aemelectronics.com/wideband- ... -gauge-84/

For $316 you get a wideband and the software to trigger a boost controller or any number of things really. Sounds like a pretty damned cool idea imho.

GTR PrYdE

Bringing this back for some input.

I wanted some feedback on whether this would work with nissanfanatics "never overboost" thread on using a 5 lead relay to cut the ignition.

Took me a while to grasp how the relay works(I think), so I am going to upload a photo of how I think it works.

Please leave feedback, thanks

The drawing is courtesy of the thread named "FAQ: RELAYS; how they work and how to wire it up..."

WDRacing

Yup, that would work.

Jmoore124
Car: 1995 240sx Ka-t
2003 Saab Linear turbo conv
(Sold) 1989 S13 red top

There are a lot of ways to do a failsafe. I have a zeitronix unit. You can get a zeitronix bundle (zeitronix is a wideband, EGT, boost and has two extra ports for you to wire in to monitor in the log) Which has the expandability of adding a programmable failsafe unit. It is similar in that it triggers a relay to do what you want it to do. (cut power to boost controller, ignition cut etc.) However with the zeitronix unit you can program multiple failsafes on any sensor it uses. Examples of complex failsafes: EGT>1500/Oil pressure<10/Boost>22psi etc.
For the same price you can get much more from zeitronix. 209 for the bundle that includes a digital gauge and then like 60 bucks for the failsafe unit. Way better option.

WDRacing

Hard to argue that when it's 100 bucks cheaper and has more options.

On a side note, I was thinking about having a boost cut connected to a knock meter. I have a turboxs dual stg boost controller, it's energized on when it's in high boost. So a simple relay setup inline would allow me to have it revert back to low boost when it hits whatever knock parameter I come up with. Rather then just having a light and relying on my ability to get off the throttle.

GTR PrYdE

Jmoore124 wrote:There are a lot of ways to do a failsafe. I have a zeitronix unit. You can get a zeitronix bundle (zeitronix is a wideband, EGT, boost and has two extra ports for you to wire in to monitor in the log) Which has the expandability of adding a programmable failsafe unit. It is similar in that it triggers a relay to do what you want it to do. (cut power to boost controller, ignition cut etc.) However with the zeitronix unit you can program multiple failsafes on any sensor it uses. Examples of complex failsafes: EGT>1500/Oil pressure<10/Boost>22psi etc.
For the same price you can get much more from zeitronix. 209 for the bundle that includes a digital gauge and then like 60 bucks for the failsafe unit. Way better option.
Link for said bundle? Their site seems more expensive when you add a map sensor and failsafe onto the cost..? **A little over $400 on the Zeitronix site for this wideband/boost/failsafe setup**

Jmoore124
Car: 1995 240sx Ka-t
2003 Saab Linear turbo conv
(Sold) 1989 S13 red top

Yeah we are at the same site. I checked again, It is 280 for the datalogging unit, 02 sensor, gauge and the failsafe. I spoke to the guys at zeitronix and the MAP sensor is an extremely high res sensor (same sensor that Ferrari charges 400 dollars for) But he said you could use a different boost sensor to tie in. I had not considered the cost of the MAP sensor, but I still think you are getting far more for your money with the ZT unit.

GTR PrYdE

We'll call this one a draw. All I need is a wideband/boost gauge that has a failsafe. This one does is over $100 cheaper than the Z. For more monitoring or a better failsafe, yea the Z has a lot of value.

The way I see it is, a good wideband with gauge is 200, and for the extra 100 you get another sensor and a failsafe.

GTR PrYdE

WDRacing wrote:Hard to argue that when it's 100 bucks cheaper and has more options.

On a side note, I was thinking about having a boost cut connected to a knock meter. I have a turboxs dual stg boost controller, it's energized on when it's in high boost. So a simple relay setup inline would allow me to have it revert back to low boost when it hits whatever knock parameter I come up with. Rather then just having a light and relying on my ability to get off the throttle.
That sounds like a great idea! I haven't gotten into tuning KA's yet, do they get much false knock? My Evo gets it every now and then, but it just pulls a degree or two out...

WDRacing

As far as I know, the KA will pull timing out as well for knock, but the knock sensor isn't read by the ecu after 5000 rpm. Knock will almost always occur at peak torque and or if your lugging the engine under a high load in the wrong gear. But peak torque is the predominant time.

However, it does not pull enough timing to kill detonation as a result from a lean AFR or combustion temps overcoming the knock threshold of the octane your using.

This is why lots of people use alky/water injection. That's another thread entirely though.

The knock meter, any of them, usually give you a light or a scale if lights that relay the intensity of the knock. Some give an alarm as well. But they rely on the user getting off the throttle quick enough to not break things. Which is why I was thinking about a relay that would just cut my boost in half. It does require a dual stage boost controller though.

As far as false knock goes, I've never experienced any. But I use the MSD Knock Alert. It has adjustable sensitivity, so you can tailor it to your vehicle.

WDRacing

Here's an article I put together awhile back about detonation.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/detona ... uning.html

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”