AEM EMS 2 in Rb25det....700whp

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
Beanstalk
Car: 89 240sx & 95 240sx

Hey I sold my PFC to go AEM EMS s2 I am reading about horror stories and I am kinda worried now that the pfc is sold and the ems is on its way. So far I bought the 3.5bar map sensor and the ait sensor and the 30-4100 wideband but what is this I read about the CAS wheel needing changed? I have the Mitsu CAS... I guess my ? is ... Has anyone done this before? And what was the process? I just dont want to forget anything
Fully built/Balanced Rb25det S1
Greddy Im
Q45 TB
1000cc denso
Greddy fuel rail
Twin walbro hp's w/ Kenne Bell BAP
Tial MVR Q
Precision 6765 billet
Full race knck off mani
Those are big parts to give idea extent of build...
I will see what power I make at 35 psi and stay there....I hope its over 700whp
I made 413whp at 17psi on a 3071r and on stock timing so it should

IronMonkey

nice man....i made 435 at 17psi on a gt35r....but motor popped when boost spiked to 25psi....let me know how it goes

i have a built rb25 that is going in next week as well....

do you have a dyno graph?

my setup :pfc with datalogit, greddy intake manifold, 550 sard injectors, 300zx tt stock fuel pump, hks cast manifold, gt35r, etc etc...

what clutch are you using?

johnny butt
Car: 1993 240sx Convertible

In for details as well.

I am about to purchase an AEM EMS Series 2 and need to make sure I get all of the extra sensors I'd benefit from.

From what I've read, the Series 2 comes with all parts you'll need for the RB25 CAS, but again this could be wrong.

flatrate
Car: S14 kouki

check out haltech, im using the plug and play version for my S1 rb25... its a solid peice and no cas issues

StricNyne

dude your setup is close to mine, and i run haltech it kicks a**, i am running hx35, with meth, i got switches setup to run differant maps/tunes and rally antilag and 2 step on the fly but i sofar plan on haveing 2 a daily driver map and high hp balls to the wall map, i want to max my setup on that map! As far as the CAS goes i think your referencing the old v1 issue where the cas wasnt reading right and people used the z31 timing wheel, i think on v2 its fixxed. but i still like haltech more :D

Billspec
Car: Evo 9, RB25 S14, Few others

Series 2 still has bugs, being so new it need time to work out. Not many ppl run the Series 2 so not much feedback has been sent to AEM for bug fixes. You need an ait sensor, map sensor, uego wideband and you are good. Trigger disk should be changed in the CAS as well to eliminate known timing errors.

StricNyne

my buddy craig runs the v2 on hs Rb30 and i dont think he has any issue with timing wheel, i will ask him to chime in on here

Billspec
Car: Evo 9, RB25 S14, Few others

V2 might have updated firmware to work with factory cas.

jey_253
Car: 1990 S13 Silvia Conversion Rb25det

I run aem ems v2 and haven't had any issues running the stock cam wheel. Aftermarket intake, gt32, 850cc Injectors. Been running for over a year and everything seems to be fine, although only running 11-15lbs

Beanstalk

Thanks guys I've got all the sensors and the wideband here now and Fedex and I can't get on the same page for my ems...lol 3rd times a charm. Yeah the only thing I fear is the head lifting on the 11mm ARP head studs @30-35psi. Does anyone know what the rb25det whp record is? I'm gonna hit it I think...750+whp race gas :woot:

Booztd 3
Car: 1990 Nissan 300ZX TT

FYI I have done many of the CAS discs swaps for customers......$75

Beanstalk

Hey do you know for sure that I need to change the cas wheel? I have a S1 with S2 coils...

RRRRB
Car: 98 RB powered S14

sell it and buy a haltech.

Id really like to see what kinda power this thing makes, keep us posted

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

+1 for Haltech

Nesquick
Car: Rb26 Kouki Silvia

im running S2 in my RB26 kouki. im completely new to AEM and its been really easy to learn. the CAS disc swap isnt hard (found a shortcut ;) ), there is a walkthru on how to do it on the AEM forums.

mrflip69

Sorry for OT, but @IronMonkey how did your boost spike? What boost controller were u using?

Another note, why does everybody seem to go with Walboros? Bosch 044 seems the way to go (inline or intank!).

Are you touching the bottom end at all ;) ?

What injectors were you using for the 3071r, and what IDC?

chad b.
Car: chocolate chip kouki

I will be running a series2 AEM on my 25 as well. The CAS trigger disk comes with the ecu, and the link to the AEM forum on how to change it is in the box. Mine had a Hitichi CAS. The trigger disk cannot be changed in it. The way it's made, you can't get the stock disk out without destroying it. I'm getting a Mitsu unit from a z32 and will try again. That would be cool if an update came out to bypess this p.i.t.a.

By the way, I'm not sure 750whp will be achievable with the stock cams.

boostedrb
Car: 91 240sx fully buit rb25det

i also have a built rb25, i have a question though. i was informed of the cames i got i need a different CAS by hitachi. does anyone know about this or am i up sh*t creek with the cams i bought. i also run the hx35 walbro 340m fuel pump and all the extra goodies. but sorry to still thread, please help though if possible

Bigalow311
Car: Nissan 350z

bump, thread needs updates. (^_^)

boostedh23a1
Car: Datsun 240Z
Datsun 280Z

I am running a series 2. As per the instructions I changed my disk in my CAS. I didnt try it without it. It only took about 30 minutes. Just take your time. So far I am happy with it. You can use your stock IAT, coolant sensors, ect. Wire up your 3.5 and follow the startup instructions. There are instructions for the CAS conversion on the forums and also in the /ProgramFiles/AEM/Instructions.
One thing you might need to do is change the fuel pump signal to the correct pin. On the basemap I used for startup it was on the wrong pin. No biggy. Use the wizards, it makes things easy.
If I can get mine running decent anyone can do it. I am not a tuner or anything...
I cant attest to the Haltech but i do hear good things about it.
When you wire up your 3.5 map, I would run a completly seperate shielded 3 wire to the ecu and only ground the shielding on the ecu side, dont ground both ends of the shield. When you are connected to the computer look for a rise in "engine load" when you floor the gas petal "TPS %" with the key on engine off. If they rise together, it is wired wrong. I used the signal wire from my MAF for the map as the diagram shows it going to the correct pin, it worked, but it was noisy so i ran a new shielded wire and that helped, as i stated eariler.

Darius
Car: RB25DET S14 - 665 WHP (SOLD)

I'm considering giving up on attempting the large MAF setup for 700 hp with the PFC and am looking at going to a MAP based system. I have been debating between the AEM Version 2 or Haltech. The differences I see between the two systems initially is that the AEM comes with boost control (does this mean solenoid as well?), launch control, programmable traction control, and knock control. I don't see Haltech with these options without jimmy-rigging something with their universal inputs and outputs of which there are only 2 analogue in, 2 analogue out, and 4 pulsed outputs. Furthermore, Haltech only has 448Kb of logging compared to AEM's 1MB.

From these differences alone, it seems to be a no-brainer that AEM has the superior system on paper. Here is my stupid question for the day, does either system come with a MAP sensor or IAT sensor?

Shocker
Car: 89 240sxHB rb26/30

Matt go haltech and don't look back. My tuner messes with aems all the time and hates the issues that come with them. Haltech has amazing customer support and they are very very helpful. Yes it comes with an internal map sensor.

Darius

But the built in MAP sensor is only rated to 1.5bar (22 psi) right?

Shocker

Darius wrote:But the built in MAP sensor is only rated to 1.5bar (22 psi) right?
Right. External is easily wired in if running race or ethanol. That's my plane for next year.

boostedh23a1
Datsun 280Z

AEM does do boost, but you need a solinoid, either use 3rd party or a 100 dollar aem one. I kept it simple and went with the aem one. If you get aem make sure to rubber mount it as it ticks kinda loud, like others do.

RRRRB

the platinum pro plug and play, has boost control launch control/antilag and NO CAS ISSUES!! the boost control is ran thru the factory solenoid wiring with use of an aftermarket solenoid thats not included..

It does have knock control that is fully programable with definable axis(s) which is pretty sick..

The person that tuned my car, his brother has an Aem (series1) on his rb25 and my tuner says he likes the haltech much better... i have tuned it some myself, a few things to get used to but that goes with anything you have never touched before...

If i had to do it all over again i would still go haltech, its been pretty solid for me and pretty easy to setyup

i bought a boost solenoid IAT sensor and the aux harness with mine, and ran off the internal map sensor for a while... speed density is much easier IMO

Darius

If it has all of the same features as AEM, why aren't they listed on Haltech's spec sheet for the platinum pro plug in series of ECU's?

Haltech can handle the signal from the Nissan CAS without having to swap discs? That's one less step to screw up in the install process I suppose.

Shocker

Darius wrote:If it has all of the same features as AEM, why aren't they listed on Haltech's spec sheet for the platinum pro plug in series of ECU's?

Haltech can handle the signal from the Nissan CAS without having to swap discs? That's one less step to screw up in the install process I suppose.
With the issues I feel I had with my Microtech and the Nissan CAS, Haltech was bolt up and go pretty much after syncing the timing (no CAS fussing - and a healthy motor). Very easy to tune with myself as well. I love it.

RRRRB

i thought when buying an engine managment system over 1000 bucks thats the standard deal, and only the platinum pro has knock control

boostedh23a1
Datsun 280Z

feel free to post your AEM cal files, i would like to compare mine to them...

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”