AEM CAI Or Injen CAI which should i get?

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
tazer
Car: sports, cars...

I have got prices on both the AEM CAI for 210 and Injen CAI for 200 Which do you guys think i should go with? Let me what you think and your exp w/the two if you have used one beforeWhich intake should i get?

scruffy63
Car: my nissan 240sx

it wouldn't really matter. I personally don't like cai. i like short rams. but they would both do the same basic thing.the difference prob. would not be noticible.

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

You may want to check out the Stillen High Flow Airbox. Stillen is our newest sponsor as well. Check out the high flow airbox at this link, http://www.stillen.com/Sportsc...age=1

I went the popcharger, z-tube route and I am really happy with it. I don't think that there is any real difference between the AEM and Injen CAI's.

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

Ditto on what Ryan said. I dont think it really makes a different.I would try and order one from a sponsor. It will help you and help NICO.

bud

GeeThreeFive

I don't know about the AEM but although I love my Injen sound it is VERY inconveint to check and change the filter. Do your research and don't rush.

vq35de
Car: G35 Sedan Leather 6MT

there is a fair amount of data on this. From my experience and reading at my350z.com, I recommend you go the drop in K&N filter, Z-tube and Unorthodox Racing Crank Pulley route. You will spend about 300 for all that and you will get a much better bang.

Your engine will rev faster and Nissan has designed some very good stock airboxes.

Just my .02

If you are going for sound throw on a pop charger and there you go.

jdmfreak

Well I had the choice I would pick Injen over the AEM. Why? Cuz Ive heard a lot of good comments about them. That and the fact I like shiny things. I plan on getting a short ram Injen intake when I get another Maxima.

tazer

Well after all the research and from numerous feedback on this forum and others i made a deciscion and got the injen one. Now what other decent priced upgrades do you guys suggest?

jdmfreak

Exhaust, and maybe header. I believe BRM sells both. If ya wanna go big and got some cash, you can go with the GReddy twin turbo kit.:D :ylsuper

rydwhite

Yeah, I would recommend looking into the BRM headers and exhaust. I believe you will get the most for your money by going with BRM. There are several threads about BRM products. Check out the link to their site here. The Greddy TT sounds pretty nice too, but that is a whole lot of money. It was mentioned earlier about getting the Unorthodox Racing Crank Pulley, I think that may be a valuable upgrade. I also would suggest looking into an ECU upgrade

jdmfreak

Yea I know the GReddy kit is mad amounts of $$$, but its sooo nice. If I had the extracash, I definately do it.

tazer

Theres no way im going to be able to afford the Greddy TT right now....thats a lot of money right there. I gotta save for a while for either an exhaust or header just not exactly which I should go with when i get one. I was looking into the borla exhaust what do you guys think? Also have any of you guys seen some decent grills?Let me know thanks a lot for the feedback!

Cold_Zero

Tazer,Typically people start with Intake, Header and Exhaust. You will see some significant gains with these mods. An upgraded ECU will also do you well. Do you plan on keeping the car naturally aspirated?

tazer

Which would you rather have first the headers or exhaust or would you save for a combo thing? If someone is offering it right now? Yeah, for now plan on keeping the car naturally aspirated.

jdmfreak

Well Id get both if I had the money, but if you want to choose one Then Id go with the BRM exhaust. Ive heard nothing, but good things about it.

Cold_Zero

I would go with both as well if you can afford it. The headers are really where you are going to see the big gains in torque and horsepower. Headers without an exhaust will give you gains, but you will be chocking your engine. An exhaust by itself will give you some gains, but not a lot. The problem with my car right now is that I still have the stock exhaust from the downpipe back. My top end sucks and its hurting my times when I hit the top part of 3rd gear.

If I were you, I would save up for some quality headers and exhaust. Then get a reflash/upgraded ECU.

tazer

What do you guys think of Borla Headers an exhaust have you heard anythign about those too? I think eventually ill get both is the ECU upgrade really worth it? especially after exahust and headers?

Cold_Zero

Personally, I would buy a BRM headers and exhaust. I know the guy that owns the company and he isnt going anywhere. I can always call him too if I have a problem. (They make exhausts for the WRX and I need to call him about one) Borla is a good company but would you be buying it from them or shop? BRM keeps the costs down while producing a quality part. They also advertise on NICO.

ECU.. Depending on what is done in the reflash or the upgrade, will really dictate what gains you will see. My ECU has been a God sent. It shored up some problems that I had. My thought it this. When I did my exhaust work, I saw some impressive gains. When I installed my ECU, I could harness the benifits I saw with my exhaust work.

Cold_Zero

**Disclaimer**I do have a turbocharged car, so our upgrade paths are different. Some of the same principals apply, but the norm for N/A cars is Intake, Header and Exhaust first.

bud

rydwhite

Here is a nice link to the Technosquare ECU for the G coupe. It explains what the ECU will do differently. http://www.technosquareinc.com/g35.htm

rydwhite

As for headers and exhaust, I would go with BRM and I would do both at the same time. In fact, that is what I am trying to do now, save money for both headers and exhaust from BRM and then go with the ECU. I already have installed some very minor intake mods, such as popcharger and z-tube.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”