ADVICE PLEASE B4 I plunk down $$ for 2018 AWD Rogue Hybrid

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
YanniK
Car: Interested in a Nissan Hybrid AWD Rogue -- wanted to see what was good, bad and ugly about it.

Hello!

Happy and satisfied 2x Altima owner ('07 stick shift for one of the kids) and '10 automatic for me, which will go to another kid as soon as I get a new car.

Our '05 Volvo XC90 was taken to college by our oldest, and so we need to get another SUV, but not something that big.

About to buy a 2018 Rogue AWD Hybrid - SV trim level

If you have one, please tell me the good, bad and ugly about this vehicle, especially the hybrid part. I know it's not getting Prius MPG, but do you get the MPG stated on the literature...or better or worse?

Have never had a Nissan SUV and actually haven't had ANY AWD other than Volvo.

Also, of course the sales-guy is now telling me all the good things about warranty package and pre-paid maintenance.

Have never bought either of those...so I'm skeptical.

Like I told him...if the car isn't going to last a while..why am I buying it?!?! (backpedal!!)

Of course, we're more experienced with Volvo (a former neighbor was an executive there and we got great deals until he moved, and then passed away!) and our Volvos have lasted to 300K miles. Not sure we'll get the same longevity with Nissan.

Looking forward to hearing what you'all have to say! I'll be reading old posts in the meantime..

Advice on price too! this is a "leftover" 2018 that they want to get rid of before the end of the year I suppose.

Thanks in advance.

Yanni

howie411
Car: 2018 Rogue Hybrid

Search my post below on the Hybrids. So far its not living up to the hype.

YanniK
Car: Interested in a Nissan Hybrid AWD Rogue -- wanted to see what was good, bad and ugly about it.

howie411 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:15 pm
Search my post below on the Hybrids. So far its not living up to the hype.
Thanks. I had already read it. :-) Hoping to get more info from others as well.

I'm not a "toyota" person and right now the ROGUE AWD HYBRID is the only vehicle on the market that seems to satisfy our constraints/needs.

howie411
Car: 2018 Rogue Hybrid

I haven't seen a single other hybrid rogue on the roads in the DC Metro area. You can compare gas mileage on Fuelly.com Just to put it into perspective my gas mileage has plummeted as the heat has been on a lot lately which is the completely opposite of when I had my Ford Fusion Hybrid. Usually I got better gas mileage when the heat was on vs the AC. This Rogue seems the opposite. I still think something is wrong, only had it in for service once but its due end of Dec/Jan.

YanniK

Thanks! Have never heard of Fuelly.com !!

I'm in a warm climate, so almost NEVER have the heat on when we're at home...only when we go to the snow.

:-)

chessmaster
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV with premium package
Also 2000 Buick Park Ave.

I owned a Toyota Camry Hybrid, and many other cars. My suggestion is you decide which category of hybrid buyer you are:
1. You want to save money, and gas, by saving on fuel. (Economy).
2. You are "earth friendly" and want to conserve earths resources, concerned with your "carbon footprint" and the environment. (Environmentalist)

Of course, many hybrid buyers fall into BOTH categories, but usually one or the other is dominant. If you are considering a hybrid for economy, dont. My "hybrid" was a financial mistake, even tho the Camry hybrid was a great car. It has the Prius technology built into a "regular looking" car. However, the hybrid mostly saved gas "in town", with higher mileage in town than on the hiway because of the Stop start technology of the hybrid. When I went on a trip, I was disappointed in the fuel economy, as it was similar to a non hybrid.
Bottom line..hybrid technology costs more, and you probably wont recover that extra cost when you sell. Mechanics are often "afraid" of hybrids. They have a reputation of having high voltage wires that can kill a human if he touches the wrong part. I have not confirmed this..that is a new subject, but at least 2 mechanics advised against hybrids for the same reasons.
If you are an environmentalist, and your reasons are NOT saving money, then you may benefit by getting a car where the maker is more experienced at hybrids. (Toyota). I LOOOOVED the idea of a Chevy Volt, and came close to bying one. It would have been a mistake, Used Volts are sold at "giveway prices", especially those past the warranty period. You may find something similar in an unproven hybrid that has not been on the road for decades. Compaines guard their technologies, and the Nissan hybrids probably wont benefit much from Prius decades old technology refinements. After you are on the job 10 years, you get good at your job. Ditto for carmakers

Return to “Rogue Forum”