Advice on Z :)

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
denebj
Car: 2008 350Z

Good afternoon Z lover !!

I am currently inquiring for a Z :) (240z, 280z or 260z).

I am looking for a customish built , close to a 'perfect' car with a nice rebuilt or swap.

I currently found 2 , fortunately and unfortunately both are in the same region but a 1000 miles away from me :D

Those two looks really good (almost perfect seeing the pictures).

I am looking for some advices on what I should make sure of before I decide to fly there ! (Maybe I might even have the luck to have someone here check it out for me :))))))))) )

Because it is a rebuilt, and a custom very well sorted, I do not know what I should be careful about (I know about the rust, both are rust free )

Thank you for the advices !!!!

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Buy the best chassis you can fine and afford. Engine swaps on these are nothing new they have just gotten more expensive, an unmodified stock car is worth more and will hold it's value better. if you want one with a swap thats fine just don't expect it to hold the value of it's stock counterparts. Back to the point, rust and wrecks. Look for rust, especially poorly repaired rust, these cars liek to rust just about everywhere and being such an early unibody car means that just about everything is structured so when a body shop cuts out deep runs and only skins it over with new metal they have compromised the structure. Many times they simply cover over the rust with bondo or fiberglass. take a magnet, knock on the panels and listen for the tone to change to a thud. look for rust where the rear wheel arch meets the rocker panel on the inside of the wheel well, look at the gusset above the tc rod mount on the inner fender, look beneath the battery tray, look around the fuel door and the hatch lip, lift the carpets and check the floorpan where it meets the tie boards and behind the seats, bottoms of the doors, bottom leading edge of the hood, bottom trailing edge of the hatch, inner fenders at the base of the strut towers, above the sway bar mounts, behind the hood hinge, just about everywhere. Look for signs of the car having been wrecked, look at the frame rails int he engine bay, they should be straight and smooth, any kinks indicates a wreck, look for creases and weld work on the inner fenders up to the shock towers, look where the frame rails meet the inner fenders, look for creasing on the firewall near the master cylinders and along the firewall. look for creasing or signs of welding on the gussets at the corners of the core support to the inner fenders and creasing in the core support. pull out the spare tire and check the tire well for rot. look at the metal gussets on the rear shock tower they tend to crease from impacts. If you can contact your local z car club (zcca.org) and see if a local member will help you look. These things are simply not fixing if they haven't been fixed right, many parts are simply not available.

denebj
Car: 2008 350Z

Thank for that very detailed response!!!!!
I need to look at that for sure, i know those two seemed to have been stripped and all. I will definitely contact the z guys :)
I do not want an original one, I want the feel of the classy z with the modern upgrades :)))) I have nooooo intention of selling it anytime soon :))))

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”