advice on tuning platform

A place to discuss the systems and methods of tuning Nissan engines.
Ajax
Car: 1991 240sx SE
2010 Mazda 5

Hey all, I've got a 91 240 with a stroked KA24DE, high compression, BC 2or3 cams, soon-to-be custom header, Xcessive intake manifold; which I will be bringing down to AMS to tune in the spring. I'm currently tuned using a Nismo FPR, JWT ECU w/ AFC Neo. That tuning is not cutting it, as its really only happy at WOT. I had been leaning toward NISTune based on cost vs AEM EMS. However, AMS is not too familiar with NISTune; and would obviously be more comfortable with the AEM (I think that's their main seller for tuning). I'm sure they'd do a decent job with the NISTune, but I do want to make sure that this is tuned as well as possible.
So I'm looking for advice from anyone who has used both systems (I'll accept other recommendations too). Is the price difference worth the capabilities on the AEM vs NISTune? Yes, I can "afford" the AEM, though it would take an extra month or so to pay the bill, so the NISTune is still a price attraction.
BTW, the goal is to break 200whp on 93octane.

Seishuku
Car: 1987 Nissan S12, 5-speed, SR20DE+T 50trim T3@15PSI, Megasquirt 1 029y4

AEM EMS does have some nice features, but for the price and your power goals, it wouldn't be worthwhile IMO.

Personally I would use MegaSquirt, it's not that hard to set up on most Nissan engines, and has a lot of features that AEM has (though it does have smaller fuel and timing tables, not that it makes a difference).

But, NISTune or a daugherboard and some flash ROM chips and roll your own ROM tune would do wonders.

Return to “Engine Tuning”