Advice on buying used M56s over 50,000 miles

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
M37xfan
Car: Traded in 2012 Infiniti M37x

BlackCat81 wrote:
ArmedAviator wrote:Is it only the 5.6 or also the 3.7 that's direct injected? Do you guys have to have your intake ports and valves cleaned periodically from the deposits?
Nope, Infinti says it creates no issues. They do get REALLY dirty though.
I have been using consistently now BP gas with invigorate. Car seems to have more get up and go!!!

walt1227
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56S

Guys what is the major difference between the S and base model without S package besides the paddle shifters, springs, and shocks? Can't we change the suspension components to match the S package or be even better with just the base model with all other tech options?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

walt1227 wrote:Guys what is the major difference between the S and base model without S package besides the paddle shifters, springs, and shocks? Can't we change the suspension components to match the S package or be even better with just the base model with all other tech options?
Yes, if you go on coilovers, you'll be better off than the factory S model. I think there are also some cosmetic things (like front bumper) that are different between them.

walt1227

Ilya wrote:
walt1227 wrote:Guys what is the major difference between the S and base model without S package besides the paddle shifters, springs, and shocks? Can't we change the suspension components to match the S package or be even better with just the base model with all other tech options?
Yes, if you go on coilovers, you'll be better off than the factory S model. I think there are also some cosmetic things (like front bumper) that are different between them.
Thanks Ilya. I was hunting down the S model but hard to find one at the price I want without a lot of miles. I think I am going to get a base M37 or M56 with all the other options and add the spoiler, coilovers, and different wheels later.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

The only S item I wish I had was the brakes. The large Akebono breaks look great. But they don't look good enough to my non-warranty buying self roll the dice on the four-wheel steering. Needless to say I will be adding them later.

walt1227

Debonair wrote:The only S item I wish I had was the brakes. The large Akebono breaks look great. But they don't look good enough to my non-warranty buying self roll the dice on the four-wheel steering. Needless to say I will be adding them later.
I hear ya. I will pass on the S models I saw because they are all over 70k miles which is a no no for the extended warranty through Infiniti. So being that it has to be under 70k miles I had to let them go.

DFW2011M56S
Car: 2011 M56S

I bought mine at 78K, have 89K on it now. Its on the 2nd set of rear brake pads and the 6th battery. I just ditched the cappy Interstate sourced Nissan battery for an Autozone Platinum AGM. I have also done a few performance mods. The 5.6 sees 6,200 rpm numerous times daily. About to have to change all 4 rotors and pads from my driving style warping the stock ones. Other than that the car is solid.

walt1227

DFW2011M56S wrote:I bought mine at 78K, have 89K on it now. Its on the 2nd set of rear brake pads and the 6th battery. I just ditched the cappy Interstate sourced Nissan battery for an Autozone Platinum AGM. I have also done a few performance mods. The 5.6 sees 6,200 rpm numerous times daily. About to have to change all 4 rotors and pads from my driving style warping the stock ones. Other than that the car is solid.
Nice! What mods have you done? Did you see any difference in performance?

DFW2011M56S

walt1227 wrote:
DFW2011M56S wrote:I bought mine at 78K, have 89K on it now. Its on the 2nd set of rear brake pads and the 6th battery. I just ditched the cappy Interstate sourced Nissan battery for an Autozone Platinum AGM. I have also done a few performance mods. The 5.6 sees 6,200 rpm numerous times daily. About to have to change all 4 rotors and pads from my driving style warping the stock ones. Other than that the car is solid.
K&N drop-ins
HPS intake ducts
Custom 2.5" mid pipe with X
Post/Secondary cat and Resonator delete
2.5" cutouts
Bullydog 93 tune +4* advance
170* thermostat
TB coolant bypass

BIG difference in performance

I ran it in the 1/8 mile recently in 2,500+ DA and ran 8.4s and 8.5s @ 92 mph on a 2.5 and 2.6s 60' with alot of wheelspin. My best times were power braking to 1,500 rpm and laying into the throttle enough to kill the power off the line. It would come alive about 20 feet out and still spin. I jumped on it on an onramp this morning with the cutouts open and had the traction control light flashing up to 80 mph.

It is woefully under tired at the moment. Still have the stock sized 245mm wide tires on it.

I really need to add an engine oil cooler to it soon. It starts to cut power sharply due to high oil temps when it heat soaks.

walt1227

DFW2011M56S wrote:
walt1227 wrote:
K&N drop-ins
HPS intake ducts
Custom 2.5" mid pipe with X
Post/Secondary cat and Resonator delete
2.5" cutouts
Bullydog 93 tune +4* advance
170* thermostat
TB coolant bypass

BIG difference in performance

I ran it in the 1/8 mile recently in 2,500+ DA and ran 8.4s and 8.5s @ 92 mph on a 2.5 and 2.6s 60' with alot of wheelspin. My best times were power braking to 1,500 rpm and laying into the throttle enough to kill the power off the line. It would come alive about 20 feet out and still spin. I jumped on it on an onramp this morning with the cutouts open and had the traction control light flashing up to 80 mph.

It is woefully under tired at the moment. Still have the stock sized 245mm wide tires on it.

I really need to add an engine oil cooler to it soon. It starts to cut power sharply due to high oil temps when it heat soaks.

WOW that thing is a monster! Yeah you need to throw some 275's on the rear or bigger if they fit. I think all I am going to do to mine when it gets here is K&N filter, CAI, and exhaust.

DKASM37
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q70 Hybrid
Hermosa Blue/Wheat Interior
Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit
K&N Drop-In Filters

@walt1227

With those mods your planning I would definitely consider adding an Uprev or Bullydog Tune to that list. On some of our cars (mine included), they won't run as efficiently as stock and you might feel some loss of power without the ECU being tuned to compensate for the changes. Some members on here have those mods without a tune and not experienced any issues afterwards so it's on a case by case basis.
Last edited by DKASM37 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

walt1227

DKASM37 wrote:@walt1227

With those mods your planning I would definitely consider adding an Uprev or Bullydog Tune to that list. On some of our cars (mine included), they won't run as efficiently as stock and you might feel some loss of power without the ECU being tuned to compensate for the changes. Some members have those mods and not experienced any issues afterwards so it's on a case by case basis.
Thanks for the heads up. What does one of those tunes cost? Will it void the warranty?

DKASM37
K&N Drop-In Filters

For Uprev your looking at $300 for the Osiris license, then there's a possible additional cost of $200 if your ECU part # hasn't been unlocked yet for our M's because they're not considered "core" vehicles. Then you have the cost of the actual dyno tune which itself usually runs $395. You'll be in a range from maybe $550 - $900. As they say "U gotta pay to play". Not familiar with Bullydog so can't comment on that system. Make sure you go to someone who knows what they're doing, the tuner themselves makes all the difference. On my M37 I'm putting down about 306 whp with just K&N's and a Stillen exhaust. As far as warranty goes, I guess that would depend on the dealer you take it to. U can Reflash back to a stock Rom if u need to have any work done where they would have to plug your vhcle in. If it's flashed back to the stock ECU from what I've heard the dealership can't see the Uprev software installed. Hope this helps you out.

walt1227

DKASM37 wrote:For Uprev your looking at $300 for the Osiris license, then there's a possible additional cost of $200 if your ECU part # hasn't been unlocked yet for our M's because they're not considered "core" vehicles. Then you have the cost of the actual dyno tune which itself usually runs $395. You'll be in a range from maybe $550 - $900. As they say "U gotta pay to play". Not familiar with Bullydog so can't comment on that system. Make sure you go to someone who knows what they're doing, the tuner themselves makes all the difference. On my M37 I'm putting down about 306 whp with just K&N's and a Stillen exhaust. As far as warranty goes, I guess that would depend on the dealer you take it to. U can Reflash back to a stock Rom if u need to have any work done where they would have to plug your vhcle in. If it's flashed back to the stock ECU from what I've heard the dealership can't see the Uprev software installed. Hope this helps you out.
Thank you for that information.

DKASM37
K&N Drop-In Filters

No problem, just throwing it out there so u know what u might have to end up doing after those mods ur planning.

DFW2011M56S

DKASM37 wrote:For Uprev your looking at $300 for the Osiris license, then there's a possible additional cost of $200 if your ECU part # hasn't been unlocked yet for our M's because they're not considered "core" vehicles. Then you have the cost of the actual dyno tune which itself usually runs $395. You'll be in a range from maybe $550 - $900. As they say "U gotta pay to play". Not familiar with Bullydog so can't comment on that system. Make sure you go to someone who knows what they're doing, the tuner themselves makes all the difference. On my M37 I'm putting down about 306 whp with just K&N's and a Stillen exhaust. As far as warranty goes, I guess that would depend on the dealer you take it to. U can Reflash back to a stock Rom if u need to have any work done where they would have to plug your vhcle in. If it's flashed back to the stock ECU from what I've heard the dealership can't see the Uprev software installed. Hope this helps you out.
Sounds like the V8 is the way to go for performance no insult inteneded. Mine put down 382 HP/390TQ to the wheels on a Dynojet bone stock and 390/410 with only K&N drop-ins, 2° advance and 170°F thermostat. As it sits now 425/434 to the tires with the cutouts open.

I want to find a set of GTR take-offs. 285s in the rear and 255s up front.

walt1227

DFW2011M56S wrote:
Sounds like the V8 is the way to go for performance no insult inteneded. Mine put down 382 HP/390TQ to the wheels on a Dynojet bone stock and 390/410 with only K&N drop-ins, 2° advance and 170°F thermostat. As it sits now 425/434 to the tires with the cutouts open.

Do you have a custom tune or did it work without a tune?

DFW2011M56S

walt1227 wrote:
DFW2011M56S wrote:

Bullydog program only. No Uprev yet. Its a ripoff that I have aready spent $700 with them and now they want another $200 just to tune the M

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

DFW2011M56S wrote:
walt1227 wrote:
Bullydog program only. No Uprev yet. Its a ripoff that I have aready spent $700 with them and now they want another $200 just to tune the M
I am looking to buy a custom tune set up myself. I am curious about the Uprev vs the Bullydog. From speaking with other forum members and researching about the Uprev, my ECU is not supported so it's going to run about $800 or so. I don't mind paying more for Uprev, but if the Bullydog will do the job for a lot less, I am interested. Is the Bullydog plug and play with preloaded tunes or does it have to be set up by a tuner? Are you satisfied with that set up? The website says that not all parameters are adjustable, depending on what type of car you have. What adjustments can you make on your own with the M56?

DFW2011M56S

Bullydog was plug and play for me. Only user selectable part is octane, timing advance, and idle speed.

I can tell I took it to the track again Friday night after I got it back from the timing chain recall last week. It had two chain guides that were down to metal on metal! Car is even more responsive. I am sure part of it is the cooler temperatures we are having this weekend too. With the cutputs open and the rear tires aired down to 25 psi, fronts at maximum recomeended pressure, it ran a 8.23 @ 94.2 mph on a 2.24s 60'!!! Had to really pedal it off the line to keep from spinning the little 245s.

NRGM45
Car: 2012 M37S Tech, Deluxe Touring, Sport Moonlight White/Graphite
2006 M45 Tech, Journey, Sport Obsidian Black/Graphite

lKoRTy wrote:I bought my 2012 with 68k miles. So far I had to replace the battery, fix rattling heat shield on exhaust, lubricate rear axle and replace 4WAS unit, the latter being covered by the warranty.

Make sure you do get extended warranty... like, no questions asked, top coverage lol.
Search for "rattling heat shield" and your post came up. The only result really... Could you share (if you know) which shield was rattling and what had to be done to quiet it down ? Mine's doing that as well...

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”