Advice on an '85 300zx Turbo

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
FratGuyBelushi
Car: Still searching...

Hi everyone, this is my first post on Nico, however I've been reading the material available and the vast knowlege of many here amazes me . I've built a great appreciation for Nissan's vehicles and motors, so I've decided to buy one. I've narrowed it down between the Z31 and 240sx, and will buy whichever I find first. Looking on craigs list, I found a good looking Z31, and wondered what you all could tell me about it that I wouldn't notice myself. Also, since the tranny is shot, if its even worth looking at it. Here is the link:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.....html

Now of course, I would greatly prefer a manual transmission, so I'd also like to know how difficult the swap is in the Z31. Anyone with financial figures for all of this would help greatly. In summary, I'd like to know these things:

1. Any obscurities of the car. i.e. special edition, etc. There was no VIN provided 2. Difficulty and cost of swapping in a manual tranny and clutch assembly, etc.3. Cost of swapping in another automatic, and how much better an idea this is.4. Is $500 an appropriate price for the car? Should I offer less?5. Anything else you can think of.

All help is much appreciated!

NissanSportMag(Z31)
Car: A few Z31s.

FratGuyBelushi wrote:Hi everyone, this is my first post on Nico, however I've been reading the material available and the vast knowlege of many here amazes me . I've built a great appreciation for Nissan's vehicles and motors, so I've decided to buy one. I've narrowed it down between the Z31 and 240sx, and will buy whichever I find first. Looking on craigs list, I found a good looking Z31, and wondered what you all could tell me about it that I wouldn't notice myself. Also, since the tranny is shot, if its even worth looking at it. Here is the link:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.....html

Now of course, I would greatly prefer a manual transmission, so I'd also like to know how difficult the swap is in the Z31. Anyone with financial figures for all of this would help greatly. In summary, I'd like to know these things:

1. Any obscurities of the car. i.e. special edition, etc. There was no VIN provided 2. Difficulty and cost of swapping in a manual tranny and clutch assembly, etc.3. Cost of swapping in another automatic, and how much better an idea this is.4. Is $500 an appropriate price for the car? Should I offer less?5. Anything else you can think of.

All help is much appreciated!
1. That's not a special edition, although that particular two tone is not a very common color.

2. It's actually fairly simple. Nothing huge to worry about. Cost will vary greatly depending on where you source your parts. Anywhere from $50 to $1000. Of course, there are some thing (cough clutch cough) I'd get new, but if you have to make due with a used part, it can be done.

3. Again, depends on where you source the parts. Good automatics are hard to find for cheap. And a rebuilt unit will almost always run more than a auto to manual swap will cost.

4. $500 doesn't sound too bad if the transmission is all that's wrong with it. But chances are there are other things to watch out for...

5. http://z31.com/lookfor.shtml

FratGuyBelushi
Car: Still searching...

Thanks. I checked the chart on http://www.z31.com of how to tell what you have, and I didn't see anything mentioned on the car, but also only saw two-tone paint jobs under the SS(If I remember correctly).

Sourcing the transmission shouldn't be an issue, just need to ask around. Also I'm glad to see support for a manual conversion, automatic is not what I want at all.

Lastly, I read everything on z31.com so I know what to look for when I go see it, but if anyone thinks of something in particular please let me know.

PS: If anyone has a solid source for a manual tranny, please give me the info.

nsrZ32
Car: 90 300ZX TT, 78 280Z, 71 521 Pickup, 98 Sentra 2.0 SE, 02 Altima 3.5 SE, 01 Focus s2

Welcome!

Looks like a good car for the money. The tranny swap isn't that hard or expensive. Go check out the car in person and let us know what you decide to do

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

the SS also known as the Shiro which is the japanese work for White, came only in..... White!

that is a heck of a deal, I guess ti depends on how bad you want a 5 speed, you could do a 5 speed swap or you could hold out for a car that is already equipped with a 5 speed, whatever you decide, if you get a Z31 get the turbo

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”