Advice Needed: Motor Issue

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
uvebeenrobd
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan

2003 G35 Sedan
2006 Motor swapped in

This is my sons car & he has been driving it for a little over a year without any issues aside form a few electrical items here & there. He was driving to work today & said he starting hearing sounds like he was dragging the exhaust, basically grinding metal & the car started smoking from the hood. He said he made his way to the shoulder and as he got the car off of the road the battery light came on. He shut off the car once on the shoulder & said car would not would crank after that if he tried. Turns the key & nothing. He said he raised the hood & there was white smoke coming from under the car through the bay but that there were no noticeable fluids within the engine bay surface. There was a small amount of oil on the ground under the car but nothing to suggest a broken oil pan as the car does sit a bit lower than stock. Upon his getting it towed back home he lifted it & found this crack in the block near where the oil pan is. (pictured below) Thanks everyone! That is about all of the information I have now, I'm mostly a Euro guy so I don't know much about these motors so any input on what your experiences might lead me to or what I can look for would be helpful.

uvebeenrobd
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan

More pics, more cracks... :mad: :frown: :tisk:

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Welcome aboard...

I'd love to give you some good news, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that engine is history.

Pull the dipstick - I suspect it's devoid of oil... if so, the grinding noise was a bearing, the crack is internal damage (bent rod, perhaps), and the oil stain was small because that's just residual oil - I'm going to guess the oil was gone miles back.

Drop the drain plug and see what comes out. If there's "glitter," you're in for an engine replacement. In fact, you can probably pry open one of the cracks (it's already FUBAR) and get a peek inside at the carnage.

If it's indeed shagged, let us know what you find. VQ35 engines are pretty durable, but they're still available through wrecking yards and engine resellers.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”