Advice for saving a z32 almost abandoned in a yard

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Kurai
Car: ???

Hi all,
A neighboor has a z32 TT lying in the yard since some years, spoke to him and he said that maybe he can sell it to me.
Since I'll eventually fully rebuild/restore by myself I'll have to carefully inspect it before throwing any cash at it. Problem is... It's a car I like but I don't know it so deeply, so Iam here looking (if there are any) for some things that can be a major problem on those cars. Like parts that if failed are a money black hole or something impossible to find for replacing.
I hope I explained decently what I'd like to learn here.
English is not my first language so please be kind :)

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

These cars are generally a black hole unless you pick up a pristine example. As with any car, if it has been rotting in one place for some years chances are everything rubber will need to be replaced that includes the timing belt, accessory belts, hoses, seals, etc. With that you'll also be replacing all the fluids, brakes, and very possibly the EFI harness if not all the harnesses. No one can tell you just how much work it will require without seeing the car and knowing a bit more about it. Read through the "Everything You Need to Know about the Z32" thread stickied at the top of Z32 Technical Forum. Restoring a car is not a small feat, if you are expecting to buy the car, change some fluids and drive away into the sunset then you and your bank account may be very disappointed.

Kurai

Hi, thank you for your answer.
Maybe my question was misleading.. I know (even my bank account :chuckle: ) what it can be, already done something like that so nothing new.
My question was more about things strictly of this particular model.
You know, like a particular failure this model has..

Anyway thank you for the suggested topic, I'll take a look!

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

The Z32 and the VG30DETT are very stout and over-engineered so generally you don't run into too many mechanical issues. The thing that plagues all Nissans of the era are disintegrating plastic connectors on all the harnesses so generally it is recommended to replace at the least the EFI harness if its original. Also the pinch weld under the car is usually destroyed because people don't know how to jack up the car, when damaged it allows water into the envelope and causes rust. That's two off the top of my head.

Kurai

Hi, sorry for being late.
Thank you for your answer, that's the kind of info I was looking about! I'll check those things as first as soon as I have the opportunity to do it! Thanks a lot!

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”