Advice for Replacing Rear Diff Bushings?

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Lorelei
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

First off, I'd like to apologize if this thread is in the wrong spot or if there is already one tackling this issue. I'm new to the boards and still finding my way around.

Now, onto the issue.

A while back, I purchased a 1991 Nissan 240sx s13 that was previously owned by a drifter. It had an automatic-to-manual tranny swap, a KA24 DE put in in place of the original SR20, and a fair number of other things and issues I won't get into, right now.

The previous owner had mentioned the rear diff bushings needed replacing when I purchased it. However, it turns out the bushings weren't even completely in place. I discovered this fact the hard way while driving home, one night, when the juttering of the rear diff vibrated loose the bolts in the drive shaft flange, which ended up scaring the ever-living s*** out of me when it dropped to the street.

I was able to get it reattached and limp it home, but I would really prefer not to experience that again, so I won't be driving it until there are some sort of bushings in there. A pain, but simple enough, right?

Here's my problem:
I don't have access to the resources necessary to drop the diff in order to change the bushings.

Does anyone have any advice for getting to, and putting in, the bushings while the diff is still attached to the subframe and the car is simply up on jack stands?
Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks!

flartius
Car: 1996 - Nissan 240sx SE RB25DET
2008 - Yamaha YZF-R6 - SOLD
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

I didn't do any searching, however I am quite certain someone has done a writeup on changing the rear bushings to the diff. As far as swapping them, just put the rear of the car on jackstands, unbolt the axles, drive shaft, and the drop the differential down. Takes an hour or two, no big deal.

And the car came originally with an Ka24D or DE, just FYI.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

If he tossed an S14 diff in it but left the subframe as an S13, it should be pretty trivial to replace the bushings as there would be only the front bushing on the diff.

If he replaced the subframe with an S14 subframe, then you get to deal with the diff bushings that are on the subframe. I used some 1/4” steel plate and a f*** of washers and bolt/nut to drive my solid bushings into the subframe with my air impact.

And flart, i’ll be pedantic for a moment, but a ‘91 came with a KA24DE. There was no single cam option that year (which is a KA24E btw)

flartius
Car: 1996 - Nissan 240sx SE RB25DET
2008 - Yamaha YZF-R6 - SOLD
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

Hijacker wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:10 pm
And flart, i’ll be pedantic for a moment, but a ‘91 came with a KA24DE. There was no single cam option that year (which is a KA24E btw)
:facepalm: You're right, thanks for the correction.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”