Advice for my 1981-2 180b

Here you'll find topics regarding the Datsun B210, 310, 610, 710, 810, 1200, and lots of other models - All are welcome!
sehs33
Car: Datsun 180b

Hello everyone, I am new here and I am honestly not sure if this is the right place to ask for help, in case it wasn't I will appreciate it if a mod moved this post to where should have been started.

I have a 1981/1982 Datsun 180b, the engine burns almost the same amount of motor oil and fuel, and there's no way it can be fixed. The carb is also screwed, so I can't reuse either.

I want your help to suggest a proper replacement for the engine, I am not into rallying, I am just looking for something economical that wont require a fortune to be installed/repaired. I can only go +-20% of the current engine's volume in order to be able to license it (authorities laws) so I can only install motors between 1400 cc and 2200 cc.

My other question, is there anyway (that is financially reasonable) to turn this car into front wheel drive? Just a question, I love it being rear wheeled, but I always wondered if it is possible.

I appreciate your help and I apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum.

Thanks in advance

zanvour
Car: datsun 180b sss

its good to see someone has a 180b/610 over there.

as for engine, i'm not sure, i still have my original one, but i'll have a look for you.

i would love to see some photos of your car.

sehs33

Thanks for your reply zanvour; here are some photos I just took:

Interior:

The poor engine:

Carburetor (bad image, it's under the air filter):

Chassis plate:

Help please

sehs33

Thanks a lot of your reply MrZed, since it is hard/ costy, I guess this rules out the idea for me.

Any suggestions regarding suitable and economical engine(s)? Thanks in advance.

jaimesix
Car: Datsun 710 , Datsun 610 , Datsun 1200 p/u

May I ask why would you want to go from a preferable and top performance preferable rear wheel driven configuration to an inefficient and lower performance configuration as a FWD?

As engines, you can start with rebuilding your own motor. If you want to swap and do all the adaptation/electrical work, you can add a Nissan SR20 engine, a Nissan KA24, a VG30, etc, there are options for whatever you are looking for, from a mild transportation, through street performance all the way to racing engine.

Jaime.__________________________________________________

chriskapinos
Car: 83 datsun 200sx, 88 200sx ka24e

jaimesix wrote: May I ask why would you want to go from a preferable and top performance preferable rear wheel driven configuration to an inefficient and lower performance configuration as a FWD?

As engines, you can start with rebuilding your own motor. If you want to swap and do all the adaptation/electrical work, you can add a Nissan SR20 engine, a Nissan KA24, a VG30, etc, there are options for whatever you are looking for, from a mild transportation, through street performance all the way to racing engine.

Jaime.__________________________________________________
the sr20 is the only option here for him, cause of his restrictions, i would also recommend a ca18de(t) they are fairly cheap, and plentiful.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

wouldn't it be more cost effective to just rebuild the L in it?

bibin
Car: Datsun 180b sss coupe

I have the orriginal carburator but I'm in Serbia!!!I dont know how I can help to you

sehs33

Sorry for grave digging this post, but I also had it posted in another forum and got several questions about what I did:
- Unfortunately I couldn't find the exact engine in an acceptable condition
- I am aware it would not have been cost efficient to convert it to a front wheeled car, but I was only curious if it is possible
- I replaced the original 1.8L with a better condition 2.0L engine from the same type which needed maintenance (did that) and although it was ok but it wasn't that strong
- I ended selling the car ~September 2010 and got me a 2007 front wheel :( drive car

Sorry again for grave digging this post and thanks for the help guys...

Return to “Other Datsun Cars”