Advice for 2008 Rogue Transmission Fluid Leak

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
nnnnn99
Car: Rogue

I have a 2008 Rogue with 97.000 miles and no major issues so far.
The car recently started leaking fluid, then lost power a couple of times and engine started having a whining noise.
I got the car towed to a Nissan dealership. They had a look and assume the torque converter seal needs replacement. The seal costs $10 online but they ask $2.000 to tear down the transmission and confirm the diagnostic.
Do I have better alternatives there?

rowlands57

Find a reputable independent shop. The path you are on now will lead to a rip off no matter how the story ends. Dealerships are both expensive and generally incompetent at the same time. This is not specific to any brand by the way, they have little to no regard to cost as the more they can get away with the better their commission. So many peeople fail to realize that their service 'advisor' is actually a comission based sales person. The stories they weave and the ways they attempt to rip people off are sickening at times.

zengshengliu
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

By any chance your car is still under the 10 year 120k miles extended warranty? Depend on when you purchase the car, you might be eligible for it.

nnnnn99

Thanks both for the advice!

A visit to the dealership allowed to know they had filled the transmission with fluid, driven the car, and the noise had disappeared while the transmission seemed to be working. They say the transmission is still dripping.

The car is 97k miles but beyond 10 years old so the warranty extension does not apply. Two calls to the Nissan customer care landed nowhere, they did not want to make any exception.

It seems I need to decide to replace the seal now, or to get the car back and check the fluid level on a regular basis. Will evaluate this over the next days.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I dread something like this on top of the cvt blowing up on my 2009.

So is it an interior leak from a seal? Since they want to drop the transmission.

If you want to keep for another half a year and not spend $2000 and the leak is on the bottom, you can do what a guy did with his truck and buy some copper seal for under $10.

It's a temporary fix that lasted him 6-8 months, then reapply again to stop the leak again if it reappears which happened again for this individual.

Cheaper than $2000 plus dealership labor.

Not saying it would work, but it's a try!

Or until you wanna sell it or until wheels fall off.

nnnnn99

The source of the leak was identified as the torque converter housing area.

I am not an expert at all, but would assume it is an internal leak?

Return to “Rogue Forum”