Advice about buying late generation Quest

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
boosted180

Hi guys. I'm looking a 2016 Quest and wanted to know what kind of things I should be looking for. I heard the CVT was a huge problem in other models, but didn't find too much information for the Quest in particular. Is it a common problem in this car? What other potential issues should I look for? The other alternative is the Toyota Sienna, which for similar milage, condition, etc. cost more. Thanks!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The VQ trannies aren't much of an issue, they don't beat up the fluid like the smaller CVT's and with decent maintenance they're pretty durable. If you're looking at one with mileage above 70K, check if it's had at least one fluid change and steer clear if it hasn't. If you're looking at one with the double sunroof, those can be a leak issue, lift the cargo deck and don't buy a flooder if you see any evidence of intrusion. There are a lot of pricey electronics around the cargo area and you could be asking for a headache.

boosted180

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:47 pm
The VQ trannies aren't much of an issue, they don't beat up the fluid like the smaller CVT's and with decent maintenance they're pretty durable. If you're looking at one with mileage above 70K, check if it's had at least one fluid change and steer clear if it hasn't. If you're looking at one with the double sunroof, those can be a leak issue, lift the cargo deck and don't buy a flooder if you see any evidence of intrusion. There are a lot of pricey electronics around the cargo area and you could be asking for a headache.
Thanks for the info. I like the way the Quest looks compared to the Sienna and it drives nicely too. Even though it's only 260hp compared to the Sienna's 296hp, the Quest definitely feels like it's got better acceleration. But on the other hand, I really want something reliable. I had an MPV with transmission problems that I paid thousands to get rebuilt, but it still had problems afterwards! That's one headache, I would prefer not to deal with in the future.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Maintenance records are everything when buying a used ride with a CVT. Unlike an A/T, they're completely dependent on fluid quality. Buying a pig in a poke is not recommended.

chefnee
Car: 2008 Nissan Quest SE

I know this is a late response. Usually I try to find out how many miles the vehicle has been driven and divide it by the year of manufacture. 70k miles / 4 years roughly (at the time of this post) comes roughly about 17,500 miles a year driven. Insurance companies like the mileage to be 12K or below which is about national average. Usually it's less "paperwork" with them if it meets this condition. Anything beyond 12K miles a little high. If you are handy with auto-repairs, I wouldn't say thing bad about the Quest. I've been driving my 2008 for many years now. It's taken me on numerous road trips and back!

RonBranam12
Car: 2016 Nissan Quest SV

A brand new member to this forum. I belong to a Miata/MX-5 forum (I've had Miatas/Mx-5s for 25 years now), and a Ford Fusion forum (my wife's car) I am about to close the deal on a 2016 Quest with 40K miles. That's not a typo, 40K miles. According to the above, that's a darn good miles/year ratio. It has SV trim. What does that mean?

PS: I have not actuyally seen the vehicle yet, just on-line photos. It is being shipped to my location from AZ. A CarMax deal.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

RonBranam12 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:25 pm
It has SV trim. What does that mean?
SV trim level is mid. The levels on late model Nissans go S, SV, SL, Platinum. An SV may or may not have a technology package or Bose sound, but it will probably have all the power accessories except the righthand seat. SR indicates a sports package and doesn't apply to the Quest.

RonBranam12
Car: 2016 Nissan Quest SV

Thanks VStar650CL. That's about what I had figured. My preference would have been S trim but I'll take it. I noticed in the pictures there are a lot of blanks where switches, LEDs, etc. should be for more options.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome. Good luck with it, happy motoring!

chefnee
Car: 2008 Nissan Quest SE

Yep. I also bought my 2008 SE from Car Max. I didn't have too many issues. For any issues, I did have, it came with the 90 day warranty on it. I was able to get them to fix all of them for free. As for the blanks, those are the options that would have been available to the much higher trimmed models.

Speaking of Car Max. I bought my 2008 Quest with them, and I am still driving it til this day. Other than the normal wear and tear, it's smooth sailing.

Return to “Quest Forum”