Advantages of 17's?

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
IvanS13
Car: *** & Titties

For racing purposes, is there an advantage for running 17" wheels over 16" wheels?

ninjak84
Car: S13, Z32, Titan

The bigger the rims, the slower the start.I noticed a huge change when I went from the stock 15's to my current 17's.

240racer

The main advantage that I can think of off hand is being able to run larger brakes. If you are running at large road courses, then you may need this, otherwise you probably won't. I think the the handling benifts will not outweigh the general gain in weight. With 16s running 50% aspect tires is already possible, so unless you plan on increasing your overall tire diameter, I think you will find diminishing returns once you go over 16.

Redline240
Car: 95 240sx

Lost_To_A_K-Car wrote:The diameter of the wheel has little bearing on whether or not larger brakes will fit. Typically, the clearance problems associated with the brake upgrade are between the outside of the caliper and the ( for lack of a better term ) "back" of the wheel.

Seach the forums for more information.
offset?

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Offset can have an effect. But an offset that works on one type of wheel may not work with another. The spoke clearance is usually the biggest issue, but that also depends on the type of brakes you put on. Z brakes will clear the diameter of the stock S13 7"spoke wheels, but there are some spoke clearance issues as there are two different kinds. If you look at a lot of Japanese wheels, they have some applications that are specific to "high calipers" which are generally referring to calipers with outboard pistons.

sts76
Car: autocross

Tires are more expensive, the wheels are heavier and you give up some acceleration. Thats the advantages of larger diameter wheels.

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

sts76 wrote:Tires are more expensive, the wheels are heavier and you give up some acceleration. Thats the advantages of larger diameter wheels.

well, the tires can be more expensive, but heres the advantages:-wider contact patch(I knowe already had the contact patch discussion K)-shorter sidewall, thusly stiffer for quicker steering response-stickier tire selecion(Y rated, etc) thusly more grip-light weight(if you get good wheels, gotta research)as for the wheels, you get more brake clearance for the caliper/rotor.

something to note- all of the advantages of larger wheels and tires only apply if done correctly.

my 17" wheels are far lighter than the stock 15" alloys, including tire weight. they also clear coilovers and larger brakes.

if you keep the overall diamter the same, your gearing ramaines the same, but a sticker tire also provides more rolling resistance.

as it is, if you can get a light weight wheels/tire setup in 17" you usually pay for it. light, strong, correct fitment(offsets, etc) wheels cost money, and rarely do people shell out the money, so they end up with heavy, power sapping wheels.

-chet

Lepchitz1
Car: Cars, and LESBIANS!!!

Chet is the tire man...listen to him as if he were wise!

Hey Chet!

I got 17"s and i didnt notice a difference in acceleration at all from the factory 16's. I kept the weight the same if not lower than factory, plus they look bad *** and as said many time above...You can clear bigger brakes. Gets rid of alot of fender gap as well for the looks side of it.

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

:D:werdwhats up man, hit me up on ICQ or AIM sometime bro.-chet

sts76
Car: autocross

Unless you are only interested in looks or doing some open track events, bigger brakes are a waste of money.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”