Advance Timing

Covering the 2003-2015 first-gen and 2016+ Titan and Titan XD lineup
Rossi
Car: 2005 Nissan Titan SE KC

Hey how's it going!!! Quick question. I know the consult II can adjust the initial timing from 15' to 17' and I don't think any higher. Will the ECU keep this setting?

If so how do you think performance will be affected? Will it keep this on a ECU reset?

2005 Titan SE KCAEM Bruteforce IntakeGibson Extreme Dual Exhaust

NISTECH

It depends on how it is done with the consult. you can change it for a test but once consult leaves that mode it reverts to the initial timing. Now if you set it at 17 BTDC in work support , that is called timing learn mode. It will adjust it and hold it.However if you are talking about an ECM reprogram in your last statement or a clear self learn [also done with consult] it will revert back to intialal values. It is basically like clicking the "restore defaults" button in just about any of your computer software programs.

Rossi

How do you think this will affect performance? And in the good ole state of CA future smog tests!

And if you think it's got a positive impact....when can I drive up and get it done!!!

NISTECH

That little of advance will have minimal effect on performance to the point of neglagable. It may only slightly boost your emission readings, primarily in the Nox and HC areas but hardly enough to matter as far as emissions goes. The state smog test does not have us check timing on cars that "can not be adjusted by conventional means". Meaning if you dont have a rotatable mechanical part that wil adjust timing,we dont have to check it. On another note if you do have your timing advanced like that you need to run the highest octane offered at the pumps [being supreme] You guys already have concerns with you fuel milage [what I gathered from your forums]. You would really be feeling the pinch if you went that route. If you were to run the lower octane, the knock sensor would be working over time and you would have a negetive effect on perfromance as the ECM would retard the timing to prevent preignition.

Rossi

Cool...there are some members that have recently done this...it appears taht the ECM will only allow for a 2' move in the timing.

But they are stating at the butt dyno there low end has gotten better. I wasn't too convinced and now I think I"m even less convinced that it's worth messing with.

Thanks for your time Scott.

NISTECH

No problem Rossi. Poke your head in here anytime. But be aware I tend to hang out in online mechanic more frequently and tend to check the car forums every couple days or so. If you post in here and I dont answer right away give it a couple days.

QShip

Good to see you over here Rossi!

NISTECH

QShip wrote:Good to see you over here Rossi!
I thought I recognized your user name.

Return to “Nissan Titan Forum”