Adding Sirius to new Versa

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
bsquarewi

Hello all. We just picked up our new Versa SL w/convenience package last weekend and am looking to see if anyone has some info on the Radio. I was planning on moving and old Audiovox PNP2 but it doesn't really fit anywhere in the car without being an eyesore (this is an old, big Plug and Play unit) so I'm looking for other options. So here's some questions maybe some people have found the answer for already:

- Besides the Aux-In in the front of the radio, is there an Aux-In in the back of the radio? Don't really want to have an ugly Aux cable always hanging there.

- Is there an aftermarket Sirius direct option to the back of the radio? Not crazy about the $300 option direct from Nissan, if it can even be added at this point.

- How about an Aux-In adapter for the rear of the radio like one of the PIE Electronics makes?

Anyhow, if anyone has any info on this, please share.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

bsquarewi wrote:- Besides the Aux-In in the front of the radio, is there an Aux-In in the back of the radio? Don't really want to have an ugly Aux cable always hanging there.
No.

Quote »- Is there an aftermarket Sirius direct option to the back of the radio? Not crazy about the $300 option direct from Nissan, if it can even be added at this point.[/quote]At this point, the Nissan OEM satellite tuner is the only plug-in option to the back.

Quote »- How about an Aux-In adapter for the rear of the radio like one of the PIE Electronics makes?[/quote]Only part of this that I can answer is use of an Aux-in adapter negates the ability to use the factory controls for controlling the satellite radio.

For me, between the loss of that feature and the fact that aftermarket satellites use cheezy magnetic antennae that can't withstand a car wash, the extra price of the Nissan unit was a no-brainer.

BenDupre
Car: 2007 Versa SL w/CVT, 2006 Quest 3.5

I bought the NISSAN unit. The only thing I don't like is the display, and there aren't enough memory positions to keep up with the 100+ channels on Sirius

Ben

bsquarewi

Ever Victorious wrote:... aftermarket satellites use cheezy magnetic antennae that can't withstand a car wash....
On my sedan I keep my sat antenna up in the back deck safely under the rear glass and have never had a problem with reception. Since the versa obviosly doesn't have a back deck, I figured we try up on the front dash (that's where my father-in-law keeps his antenna in his van and has never had a reception problem there either).

In hindsight I do wish we would have opted for the built in Sirius tuner but at this point shelling out that much for a tuner just isn't worth it. May be stuck with using the ol' FM modulator for now (only slightly better than the FM Transmitter option) until PIE or someone comes out with an AUX-In adapter or a more cost effective integrated solution.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

BenDupre wrote:I bought the NISSAN unit. The only thing I don't like is the display, and there aren't enough memory positions to keep up with the 100+ channels on Sirius
My solution to that little problem was to use 1 preset for my local traffic station, then the rest of the presets are of the station in each category that I listen to the most. If I want to listen to another station in the category, I use the channel tuning button on the stereo. Works quite well. (Some categories I was able to use multiple presets because I just stopped listening to local FM altogether, so that freed up another 4 presets)

Return to “Versa General Chat”