Adding door lock actuators to base model

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Notnoel
Car: 2009 Versa Hatch (S Model)

Just bought (today) a new base hatchback for wife under Cash for Clunkers - really wanted a manually tranny, so ended up with a pretty stripped down model, with no power locks (had to take what was available).

Anyway, I notice that the hatch operates electrically from the driver's lock. A couple of questions for the Versa braintrust:

1) Is the wiring for power lock actuators already in the door (seems like a safe bet), and

2) If I add the actuators to one or more doors, will I be able to lock the other doors from the driver's lock (same way the hatch now operates, and the same way my 1990 Sabb works).

Don't really care about a remote keyless entry fob - it would just be nice to be able to quickly lock/unlock all of the other doors from the driver's door (inside or out).

steed77
Car: 09 Versa Fresh Powder Sedan 6speed

Congrats!! I also am a Cash for Clunkers newbie here. I am also in the same boat. no power locks.

The good news is that your car has the actuators built in.

1) NO wires.... you will have to add your own.

2) might be able to do that; as the top 2 wires on the drives actuator are what are used for the trunk lock.

Currently I am working with a solution to fix just that. I will make a post once everything gets in and installed. I think the solution for this should run about 70 bucks. More to come

jsramona
Car: Nissan Versa

I just purchased a 2008 without power door locks and am in the process of converting over to power locks. Did you say the acuators are already in the doors? Are the acuators used for the manuel locks just the same as the power acuators just not wired in?I have been looking for acuator kits from after market companys online, but if all i need to purchase is a wiring loom that would be awsome. keep me in the loop.

steed77

Correct.... the locks are the same. standard aftermarket actuators will not work.

This Just came in, So I hope to have something working in the next week or 2 when I get some time. I plan to have running the factory actuators.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_5...ystem

more to come.

Notnoel

Just pulled the panel on the passenger door. On the latch mechanism you will find a 4-post male plug (small posts top and bottom for negative connections, large posts in the center for positive connection). Completing a circuit to the lower 2 posts locks the door, Completing the circuit to the upper 2 posts unlocks the door. Should be very simple to wire. I am going inserach of the proper connector now.

Finding a connector will make life easierr. The cable system for the lock wraps around the tracks for the window making it difficult to get the actuator out of the door - otherwise it would be pretty simple to simply solder wires to the posts. That's still an option, but would much more work than simply plugging in the proper connector.

steed77

I have a lead on 2 sets of connectors (8 in total) If they pan out, I can hook you up.

Your also close... I work in Herndon

Notnoel

Pulled the rear door panel this AM to evaluate. Similar male connector as is in the front door (will use same connector), but wired differently. The rear door actuator only has two two prongs, a pin connector in the bottom location and a narrow spade immediately above it. The upper locations are empty.

Unlike the actuator on the front door (4 connections), and has separate circuits for locking and unlocking, the rear doors 2 pins work by reversing the polarity to lock an unlock the door.

Versa357
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Sedan

Any updates to this thread? Have you guys installed the keyless entry yet? I plan on doing this as well. I have to see if mine also have the actuators in the doors if not I found a kit online for about $150.

Notnoel

hyave pretty much figured out the wiring issues - see this site for how to do the polarity reversal for the rear locks using relays (need this so that all the locks can be locked/unlocked as slaves to the driver's door lock.

http://www.commandocaralarms.c...s.asp

Still looking for the pr4oper plug in connectors, but haven't had time to go back to the delership - the connector has slots for 6 pins, but only 2 to 4 of them actually have pins in them. Won't be working on this project for a couple of weeks (family vacation coming up).

Chandler611
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Sedan Cocaine Color White

anyone get anything new going on? how bout that 150 kit, o you have a website link? thanks

Versa357
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Sedan

this is the kit I found with the actuators in case mine dont have them.

http://www.a1electric.com/Merc..._Code=

no3rdseat

Steed77, any progress on this? I live in Silver Spring so I'm close.

-Rick Stewart

steed77

no3rdseat wrote:Steed77, any progress on this? I live in Silver Spring so I'm close.

-Rick Stewart
Not yet... SOON. I have a pile of turn fast goodies (struts, springs, braces) to install first.

That said, it's still on the plate to do. I am working with several folks to source the darn pig-tails that plug into the door actuators. The wiring does not look tooo crazy, I just want a water-tight seal to the connectors.

More to come.

Cash_22
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa S

Bump. I'm interested in this myself. I used to live in Annandale before, right behind NOVA CC.
steed77 wrote:
Not yet... SOON. I have a pile of turn fast goodies (struts, springs, braces) to install first.

That said, it's still on the plate to do. I am working with several folks to source the darn pig-tails that plug into the door actuators. The wiring does not look tooo crazy, I just want a water-tight seal to the connectors.

More to come.

kris_usa
Car: Versa 2009

Any update????? I'm tired of running around the car to open the trunk.

ME18VERSA
Car: 09 nissan versa
89 5.0 mustang

update??

perkybunch
Car: 2010 Nissan Versa Sedan

Has anyone had any luck on this? I want to add keyless entry as well.

norsky
Car: 2010 Nissan Versa

I just installed a remote entry on my 2010 versa, if anyone need's any info, while it's still fresh in my mind..lol

JHR16DE
Car: 2010 Nissan Versa 1.6

Was it hard to do? Any pics?

norsky

No pic's, I did'nt consider it hard to do, but I make a living as a mechanic, time consuming is what I thought of it, but a fun project. The little car come's apart pretty easy.

JHR16DE

Sounds good. I plan on getting an alarm system and Im getting power locks on the front at least...depending on how much they are.

norsky

I'm not sure about the alarm, but I went with the Omega REC12 and it was $35.00 and about $20.00 in miscellaneous part's. If you have any question's, I'll try to help.

steed77

Late update: The locks have been working for several months. (Dec09) ALL Versa's have the actuators installed. This means base, S, and SL. The Actuator is part of the locking mechanism.

I had a Local alarm shop install a Viper alarm, just did not have the time to do it myself. They had to run the wires to the doors crimp-on connectors and done.

Rear door is Reverse-Polarity and front doors are typical 3 wire installs.

norsky

I can't speak for all model's of Versa's, but my (2010 Base sedan) front door actuator's had 4 pin's, the top two pin's are switches, the bottow two are for the actuator, just the same as the rear door's. All door's work off reverse polarity circuit's.

JHR16DE

$35 per motor? I went to a local shop and they told me it would be $50 per motor plus the alarm.

norsky

If your calling the actuator's, motor's, the car already has actuator's in the door's, $35.00 is what the remote unit cost me.

JHR16DE

Im not sure what they're called or what you're talking about but Im talking about the part thats required to unlock the doors when you get the alarm system. Im confused now. :(

norsky

The thing's that unlock your door, are in your door already, they come from the factory with them. They are called actuator's, motor's, servo's and some other name's I can't use here..lol You'll have to run wire's from these motor's to your alarm/remote system, they will have to be interfaced with relay's to reverse polarity of the motor's.

JHR16DE

Im getting it done at a shop but sounds like I'll be saving some money. :biggrin:

sanversa
Car: Nissan Versa 2010 S hatchback

I have been following this thread for a while to see any updates on succesful installation of the power door locks. Well, I bought the power door lock kit from A1 Electric (actuators, wiring and keyless entry) and then tried on putting the power locks yesterday-- successfully opened up the passenger door panel and then tried to find a suitable position to put in the actuators provided by A1 Electric...couldn't find any suitable location to do that and I gave up on it.
Anyway to cut it short-- I knew from this forum that the Versa base's came with power actuators, but I wasn't sure about how to go doing the wiring on it (I am not that proficient with electrical circuits and how they work), so I went ahead and bought the readymade kit with Wiring etc from A1 Electric thinking it would be easy going this route as everything is already done, all I have to do is install them, but I was wrong, installing the aftermarket actuators is an art as well as having all the right tools to bend the actuator rods, etc precisely so that they align with the lock cable became necessary.

Norsky, so a question for you, now that I have the wiring for this aftermarket product with an relay, I need your help to determine if this relay will be compatible with the factory actuators? Also how did you go connecting the wires in the actuators i.e. did you find the suitable connectors for it? if so, where did you find them?

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”