Add another newbie..

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
brogotvert
Car: Brother's `94 240sx

Hi, guys. My brother just bought a `94 drop-top with the 16v twin cam. I didn't realize that they were such rare cars! I'm a long-time import guy (VW), but know absolutely nothing about Nissan chassis or engine designations. Searched the boards, but most posts seem to be meant for people who already know the shorthand. Is this the S13 chassis with the KA24E? Also, what is all this noise about the upper timing chain/tensioners? Bro's car has about 131k.Funny thing is..he hasn't ever really been `into cars' before. SHIFThobbies, perhaps? Jeez, he was even watching `Initial D' over my shoulder last week, and he's never cared for it before...

hob

welcome, rare indeed 1100 and change in 94, not sure of the other years I think about 4-5,000 total (anyone have actual #'s) s13 w/ ka24de (e is single cam de double cam) it is my understanding that some things changed for the 94 model year, but i am not sure what. everytime i am looking to buy something the parts seem to run up to '93 model and then '94 up?? can't help u with the timing chain question not sure myself. I have 200k w/ heads redone but runs very well. lot of very good info on the site just have to look through.good luck

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

OK... well um..

First off, WELCOME! Great to have a new member. Congrats to you/your brother for getting a fantastic car!

You are correct.. this is the S13 Chassis.

S13 = 89 - 94 240sx (All 240's come stock with 2.4 L engines)S14 Zenki = 95 - 96 240sx... new body style with rounded headlightsS14 Kouki = 97 - 98 240sx... new body with more aggresive pointed headlights. (very limited production and sales in US)S15 = SEXY... 99 - up Not sold in US. Sold in Japan, AUS, NZ, etc... I include it because you will here people talk about swapping the S15 front end onto their S13s and S14s.

89 - 90 = KA24E... KA is engine code, 24 is engine size, E refers to single cam. 91 - 98 = KA24DE... same as previous only DE refers to dual cam or twin cam as you refer.

You will here often about "T's". That means Turbo. SR20det, CA18det, RB20det, RB26dett (twin turbos)... KA24e"t"... etc..

Here's the deal on 'verts. Sold in US only from 92-94. In 94 no coupes or fastbacks were sold here.. only 'verts. So if you here 94... garaunteed to be a 'vert.

*all 'verts were sold here in the US as automatic trans.

(I put an asterisk there because it is not common knowledge that there was a very limited run of 5 spd sold in Cali only in '92 that a manual tranny stock. They were more of a promo type deal than an actual production car.. I know this because a friend of mine was a GM at a Nissan dealer in San Diego in the early 90's, and he got one as a demo for a bit.)

Here's a link for a thread about the timing chainshttp://www.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=65251

So.. now you have the basics.. which are about all i am qualified to share with you. You will certainly have lots more questions. Feel free to ask away. Remember the "search" button on the top right of your screen. There is a ton of awesome info on this board that has been posted, and you will find the answer to most questions there. But, feel free to ask for help here as well.

Thanks for joining!!! Enjoy your/your brother's 240 'vert!!!!

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

one quick clarification to the engine codes. E stands for electronic fuel injection. The lack of a D before the E stands for SOHC, and the D stands for DOHC. If the code lacks an E, then it would be carbuerated. Such as an old L26 (from the 260Z).

Welcome to our little corner of NICO and I hope you enjoy putting up with our lunacy

brogotvert
Car: Brother's `94 240sx

Hey, thanks everyone! Sorry it took me so long to get back to ya..home comp is dead & I'm posting from work. OK-thanks to Eikon for the engine codes. It's KA24DE (for dual cams). I've been listening to it run for a week now, and haven't heard any chain rattle. I'll keep my ears open (I did search the boards & discover it's an interference engine). Hob, thanks for the production figures-jeez, I thought my VR6 Corrado was a rare car! Tenkawa, I read your 5-speed conversion post..good stuff. I think I know what'll happen if my brother tires of the car (not that he's showing any sign of it). Speaking of trannies, how does everyone use the overdrive on the automatic? I love the way the car reacts with it off, but noticed an idiot light on the dash burns while it's off. Is this a wear & tear issue, or just more MPG propaganda?Thanks in advance,BGV

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

most companies push O/D for gas mileage. It would be like driving your 5 speed around in 5th gear all the time until you needed some pick up and downshifted. I would just ignore the light if you enjoy having O/D off.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”