Acura Integra GSR any good for Road Racing?

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
DRFTs14
Car: 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo

Hey guys. Just need to know, even though this not a nissan. Would an Integra GSR be a decent performing track and road race car?

TrueSlide
Car: Stuff

Yes, has good power. I would work on the suspension though, from the Hondas/Acuras I see running around, looks like they could use a good set of springs/sways.

zippitta
Car: 1990 240SX HB

it being front wheel drive, you will have to deal with mad understeer. It being a honda, you have no low end torque to help at the corner exit. All of its power is 6k rpm +

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Sure it would be a fun road race car. Doesn't really matter that they're FWD, they are nimble, durable and tossable. And as far as the lack of low end grunt, that just means you have to be more aware of keeping the revs in the power band, (not unlike a 240sx). Not a big deal. Enjoy it.

seyath
Car: 2004 Maxima SE, 6sp, black leather. 1991 240SX, 5sp, grey leather.

Honda's can be made into real track monsters with the right tuning. I personally don't prefer FWD but I have driven a very well tuned EK hatch and was rather impressed at how nimble it was... I forgot to ask the owner how he got rid of the torque steering though... I need to overcome that in my Maxima somehow.

Joe

zippitta wrote:it being front wheel drive, you will have to deal with mad understeer. It being a honda, you have no low end torque to help at the corner exit. All of its power is 6k rpm +
i dont think you have ever driven a properly set up honda on a road course.

they are awesome cars on track. torque is fine, understeer is minimal. just needs a bit of suspension work.

GhostDriver
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX RMS13

I think you have to ask yourself if you can drive it. I went to a small track and got schooled by a 4dr Saturn. It was my first time but the driver in the Saturn drove the tires off it and ran faster than me. So even if you drive a Z32TT or some ITR keep in mind your ability.

Now to totally contradict myself, some cars may be suited for high performance driving than others and the GSR is pretty good (I guess). There I said it .lol

pro drifter
Car: 1990 nissan 240sx

you better belive there good road racing cars, before my nissan 240,I owned a 91 integra and i put the 98 GSR motor in. I have to say it is faster than my 240 now and would blow the door of it arund the track but you must remeber that honda's are all about the road racing and they do a great job were on the other hand my 240 is ment for drifting. So over all I would say that it is good for road racing

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

rofl!

240's arent meant for drifting, nor are hondas meant for road racing

ITR's are like civics, spunky good fuel economy everyday cars...240's are the rwd version of this

its what you do to it that makes it what it is

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

nismofly wrote:rofl!

240's arent meant for drifting, nor are hondas meant for road racing

ITR's are like civics, spunky good fuel economy everyday cars...240's are the rwd version of this

its what you do to it that makes it what it is
I'll go one step more. It's also how you drive it that makes it what it is.

I wouldn't get too caught up in FWD vs RWD vs AWD. If you watch speed tv, you'll freqeuently see these little orange/white FWD Realtime Integras running near the front.

nismofly

Bubba1 wrote:I'll go one step more. It's also how you drive it that makes it what it is.
very true, as seen by some of the cars at the hpde's

sleepyRPS13
Car: to sleep

the only thing that came to my mind was the real time integra type R's won like 4 in a row scca touring champoinships and a 93 championship w/ a integra gsr. DC5 were great cars.

nismofly

you mean...dc2 were great cars, dc5 are great cars

AmoebAssassin
Car: 1991 Base fastback 5spd, black

All the people who complain of "massive understeer" on corner exit either have never driven a properly set up and maintained FWD car, or need a better right foot...

And Pro Drifter, I seriously doubt that when nissan engineers sat down at their design table in the late 80s, they intended for every S13 owner to be sliding their cars around all day. The 240sx was not designed to, nor is it meant to drift. However, by virtue of it's good balance and wheelbase, it happens to be a good car to slide.

TrueSlide

Amoeb, your car looks awesome!

AmoebAssassin
Car: 1991 Base fastback 5spd, black

TrueSlide wrote:Amoeb, your car looks awesome!
Hey thanks! I really appreciate that!

le_ryan
Car: Mazda 3 / 91 nissan S13 SR

TrueSlide wrote:Amoeb, your car looks awesome!
it looks kinda like my old 240........I WANT MY 240 BACK!!!

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

AmoebAssassin wrote:All the people who complain of "massive understeer" on corner exit either have never driven a properly set up and maintained FWD car, or need a better right foot...
Exactly, a properly set up FWD *OR* RWD car will have very neutral handling. FWD cars, when set up right, can be made to oversteer very easily. One advantage of RWD, is that if you find yourself in an understeer position, you can pull out of it quickly by giving it gas. However, an advantage of FWD, is you can pull out of an oversteer position by giving it gas. Both are equally advantageous.

And as far as the person that said Honda's don't make good roadracing cars...you apparently have never watched any touring car races. Honda's are usually ALWAYS near the front of the pack. Integra's and RSX's in particular.

TrueSlide

Been driving a civic while I have been home, my brothers, all stock. I was taking it through the mountains and well had to push alittle and did suffer from quite a bit of understeer and just drove through it. Later on I changed the way I was driving it and BAAM, felt like a new car, you CAN NOT drive a FWD car like a RWD and expect the same results. They need to be driven differently. Either ppl drive RWDs and have jumped in a FWD a few times will experience understeer or they just jump on the bandwagon and all FWD understeer.

RWD > FWD still

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”