Active Suspension Conversion

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
QShip

Well, I am no longer able to put the conversion off any longer. The suspension is dead. The car now rides like a truck, (my wife's description), and I don't like bouncing around after each bump.

The question is, will I need any special tools to perform the conversion?

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Nothing beyond the typical spring compressor, a lift, a manual and the $3,000 worth of metric tools every Q owner has.

Dealing with looping the pump and bleeding the pressure are the areas that give most the trouble!

azskygod

Are you experiencing a harsh ride because the accumulators are flat, or are you literally bouncing (and bouncing, and bouncing) over every little bump and seam in the road?

I've got a 1991 Q45a that had a similar problem. Flat accumulators, granted, but the ride was acceptable. Then one day during a sweeping curve on the freeway, the active suspension just died. It immediately dropped about 3" while I was MOVING, and it felt like there was no suspension AT ALL. Every little bump caused the car to bounce repeatedly until I thought I was going to puke. It was like riding on the tires only with NO springs.

Believe me, I know what riding around on flat accumulators is like, and this was NOT it. It felt like a cheap pickup truck with a slammed suspension. After some investigation, I discovered that the active suspension controller had a broken solder joint on the board at the power connector. Re-flowing this joint restored the active suspension to normal.

Your problem might be easier to fix than you think...

azskygod

Mike Zeller

I'm also ready for a suspension conversion for a 1992. Love the car but don't want to spend too much $$$$. Is there a kit available at a reasonable price? (The local dealer has given me a price and this is not an option).I have access to some good shade tree mechanics but no one who knows the Infiniti active suspension. HELP!

QShip

I recall a post from the old website saying the kit was $1200. However, you can use parts from another Q to make the conversion.

ERicincal

I have a 1994 Q45a, my car is starting to ride stiffer than my sports car. In fact, if there are people in the car, it feels like its bottoming out and metal is hitting mettal.

so they tell me I too am in need of some suspension work, its scary when the service tech say.. I have some really bad news for you...

so I am thinking of either doing the suspension conversion, or do the recharge of the Nitrogen. Has anyone done the conversion? and has anyone done the recharge? does anyone know anyone who does it in the LA or Orange County area?

texasoil
Car: '92 Infiniti Q45A
'94 Infiniti Q45A
'94 Mercedes-Benz SL600

I supply exchange recharged accumulators for active Q45's

Peyton-Cramer Infiniti in Torrance Ca has installed 5 sets so far this year. All you 'active' folks out in the area who want a Dealer install should contact Peyton-Cramer.

My wife's 92 has the first set I did (more than 3 years and 30K miles on Houston's rough and potholed roads) and still going fine. I provide a one year free replacement, lifetime 50% off warranty.

It's lots lower cost to recharge than convert, and you don't have to replace the struts every 40-60K to keep handling great.

Just the 4 strut units gets you back a smooth ride, and adding the 2 mains gets you full active for most all road and driving situations. Once you have driven a recharged active car, you will be hooked for life.

aaacomp
Car: Family, church, Computers, Cars

Four struts $300-- Four Coils (Eibach) $300New rubber on all axles $200 Labor 12 hours .Loop back existing pwr steering pump. You'll have a new ride with NO MOrE high $$$ potetial disasters. Save your money for the other re-accuring maintence .......:D :D

SOCAL91Q45a

"Just the 4 strut units gets you back a smooth ride, and adding the 2 mains gets you full active for most all road and driving situations. Once you have driven a recharged active car, you will be hooked for life."

Is there a thread discussing this re charge process and doing the MAINS somewhere I cannot find it ..... Is this an "article topic" perhaps?

Any help appreciated ...

TIA

QShip

You'll have to talk with TexasOil about that. He is the active guru.

SOCAL91Q45a

TexasOil - sent me a sweeet write up or three on the system and a high level over view of the recharge R&R instructions.

What a guy! What group of dedicated Q heads!

Socal is very very stoked to have found the NICO forums!

Return to “General Chat”