Acceleration/Limp Mode Issues after extended driving in traffic

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Act of God
Car: 2016 Rogue SL

Well I've had this 2016 CPO Rogue for a few months (purchased at 25k, now at 31k) and it is going into the shop for the FIFTH TIME today. I attempted to get Nissan Consumer Affairs to take the car back but they aren't cooperating (myriad of issues each time it has been back to the dealer, mostly small and annoying stuff). The factory warranty is up next week and I'll be left with only the 6/100,000 powertrain warranty. NCA has floated the idea of extending the car's basic warranty as some sort of compensation, but nothing has been officially offered.

Yesterday, however, a concerning issue arose. I was driving home from work and hit major traffic, about 2.5 hours worth of it. I had noticed in previous occasions that the vehicle would hesitate to start from a stop in traffic, sometimes requiring 0.5-1.0 seconds to even respond after depressing the gas pedal. I brought it up to the dealer before and they decided that since they can't replicate it on their 5 minute test drive, it must not exist.

As I was nearing home yesterday the car apparently went into some sort of limp mode. The CEL went on and the power delivery was very herky-jerky and the transmission almost felt like it was slipping. Thankfully I was a block from home when it got really worse and coasted to my destination.

I didn't start the car from 4pm yesterday until 9am today. The car runs fine but the CEL light remains on. This clearly is an issue that only arises in traffic, which likely means it is heat-related. Does anyone have any ideas how I can communicate this to Nissan Consumer affairs when I meet with them on Tuesday? They're obviously going to try to tell me everything is fine.

BTW this is the worst Nissan product I've ever owned. I'm shocked at how poorly this car is constructed.

macgiver

Start with your I-phone vids , have it cued up for a one -button -press , film the SES light , the rpm's vs speed ,maybe point it towards you foot to illustrate the "nogo" accelerations - just beware the cops looking for .....
circle jerks texing - thinking your IT :lolling:

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Really hate the never replicate response by dealers.

Anyways, try a drain & fill of your transmission fluid.

Maybe, consider adding a cvt transmission oil cooler.

Act of God

Update: The valve body failed, being replaced under warranty

This vehicle has had a transmission failure at 31,000 miles, yikes.

Act of God

Nissan Consumer affairs did not purchase the vehicle from me, but they did extend the bumper-to-bumper to 7/100,000...so I got that going for me, which is nice

casperfun

Brought in 5 times.

That’s pretty harsh.

No wonder it was up for sale.

As you said, they don’t seem to be cooperating earlier.

I use to have that .05-1 second wait before the car jerked forward after pressing the gas pedal. Cured it with a drain & fill at around 75,000 miles. Still on my original cvt at 90k.
Still smooth as butter.

Never had the overheating problems in traffic or hilly driving, but others have cured that with a transmission cooler.

:toast:

So let me get this straight.

Nissan is just replacing the valve body, which would be a major failure of a component inside the cvt transmission.

Then you go on to say it was a transmission failure at 31,000 miles.

So you’re not getting a NEW transmission?

Funny how the NORMAL thinking of Nissan is usually replacing the WHOLE cvt transmission because supposedly it’s easier to replace instead of fixing it.

But your Nissan people will tear the cvt apart to fix it.

Interesting.

No wonder it has been back nearly half a dozen times and whoever owned it last was happy to get rid of it.

Doesn’t the valve body control the fluid in the passages of the cvt during shifting?

And isn’t one of the reasons it could get ruined is because of metal shavings or debris in the cvt transmission?

Hence, transmission failure = new cvt transmission.

The valve body is the heart of the cvt transmission.

I find it hilarious that Nissan usually replaces a failed transmission with a $4,000 new one.

But your particular dealer is into REBUILDING them?
I would tell my dealer to give me a new complete cvt and to :GTFO.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they were pocketing the other $3,500 that Nissan corporate is giving the dealership for the normal replacement cost of a failed cvt.

Don’t be surprised if you still need a new cvt down the road.

Makes you go hmmmm. :bs:

Act of God

Nissan Corporate told them to replace the valve body, they've been involved every step of the way. At this point I figure I'll just drive the crap out of it since I'm full warranty for the foreseeable future. Car was off-lease CPO, supposedly a choice example too.

casperfun

I was thinking of doing the same plan a couple years ago in trying to get a new cvt before my 10 yr warranty runs out.

With my luck, it won’t fail in time.

It’s a catch 22, since I tried to take care of my car and maintain it through the years.

So it’s hard to all of a sudden too wanna drive it into the ground in hoping to score a new cvt.

But I said, f-it.... I’ll just drain and fill through $400 worth of cvt fluid to avoid needing a $4000 new cvt.

Plus, I didn’t like the idea of Nissan mechanics taking the engine apart after I meticulously took care of it all these years.

Hence the original cvt after a decade.

Seriously, these cvt’s are a crap shoot.

Some last a few months with 15,000-30,000 miles.

People may even go through 3-5 cvt’s.

Or the original can last around 180,000-200,000 from what I’ve read online through the years.

So many horror stories & potential dangerous situations because of cvt failure.

Act of God

I had forgotten that the 4 cylinder CVT's were a disaster after learning about it years ago when I was shopping Altimas (I got the 3.5, so it had the stronger CVT). Thankfully my car is low mileage so everything will be covered but I'll probably swap the car out for something else in a year or so.

Return to “Rogue Forum”