Ac function help

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
91q45t
Car: 1991 Infiniti Q45T

Hey guys need some help with the ac on my 92 q.
I attempted to recharge the system but the compressor isnt kicking on. No cooling fans either. No engine idle up as well. I located the dual pressure switch and ac switch attempted to jump the wires... no response at all. Any advice please ?

cbird805
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45
1995 Infiniti Q45 Base
(prev) 1994 Infiniti Q45 Base

Have you tried the self-diagnosis procedure in the HA section of the FSM? It has a step by step self test procedure that will dispolay the possible point of failure. The FSM is available for download on this forum. It's in PDF format, and each section has to be downloaded one at a time.

91q45t

cbird805 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:36 pm
Have you tried the self-diagnosis procedure in the HA section of the FSM? It has a step by step self test procedure that will dispolay the possible point of failure. The FSM is available for download on this forum. It's in PDF format, and each section has to be downloaded one at a time.
Yes and no error codes

cbird805
1995 Infiniti Q45 Base

How far were you able to get in the diagnostic tests? Were you able to test and pass preliminary test 1 through 8?
Next question, did you recharge it yourself or take it to a shop?
The reason I ask is that the ac system needs to be filled using a higher pressure ac recharge than those Freon recharge canisters you see at the auto parts store. If you attempt to recharge the car using those canisters, you might have actually discharged the freon in doing so.
Lastly, does the system use r-134a or r-12?

91q45t

cbird805 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:06 am
How far were you able to get in the diagnostic tests? Were you able to test and pass preliminary test 1 through 8?
Next question, did you recharge it yourself or take it to a shop?
The reason I ask is that the ac system needs to be filled using a higher pressure ac recharge than those Freon recharge canisters you see at the auto parts store. If you attempt to recharge the car using those canisters, you might have actually discharged the freon in doing so.
Lastly, does the system use r-134a or r-12?

It was converted to r134.
The charge was low.
I attempted to recharge it.

I had a 1990 converted it and used this set up and it was fine.
With that being said...

If that was the case it should've still idle up, condenser fan and compressor should've kicked on as well.
When I jumped the the pressure switch

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I'm working off of memory, so I could be wrong, but I think there's more to bypassing things than jumping out the pressure switch. I've always jumped the switch side of the relay that feeds the clutch. That way you eliminate all of the ECU thinking for you.

91q45t

I found the issue. The ac compressor clutch is bad causing a short... so to replace to clutch or whole compressor

cbird805
1995 Infiniti Q45 Base

It's not too hard to swap clutch plates. How much is the compressor? I replaced the compressor with used one off Ebay, I think it cost less than $100, but that was 5-6 years ago.

91q45t

It's about 100 for used or rebuilt compressor... so it's easy to swap the clutch with it on the car?

cbird805
1995 Infiniti Q45 Base

Oh, no. You have to take off the compressor to swap clutches. You also need a special tool to take it off. Honestly, youre better off replacing the ac compressor, especiallly at that price. It's not that hard, loosen the belt, take off a couple of hoses. Make sure you take it someplace like Meineke first to have the freon sucked out. They will give you "credit' toward recharging the system after you replace the compressor (its actually against the law to discharge freon into the atmosphere). I think I paid like $130 total to have them remove and then refill the freon.
Make sure you you get the green ac o-rings and the correct compressor oil to fill the the ac compressor. i would drain and fill, if replacing with used. I think i spent about $250 all together to replace the AC compressor, which is still cheaper than taking it to a mechanic or Infiniti.

You're suppose to check other components like dryer and condensor, but I didn't.

98_Q45

An update: the FDA or EPA whichever it is lol, recently stated it’s no longer illegal to vent R134a into the atmosphere. Only the R12 stuff. Google it.

I say because I went thru the gamut with this last year. Had to keep discharging the system after paying to have it charged 3 times, because it wasn’t getting cold. Had to keep releasing Freon in my garage to get to the source of the problem.

However, in my case it was a clog at the liquid line leading from the desiccant dryer to the expansion valve. A bottle of stop leak later, (mechanic assumed it was a leak) it created a permanent seal. So I was able to release the pressure without compressor oil spewing everywhere. However, if you don’t have a blockage... compressor oil will get everywhere, so it’s better to just have it evacuated anyway.

That said, replacing compressor usually is the way to go. Compressor clutch bearings and tolerances can be finicky, and rock auto sells them new and rebuilt for less than buying a clutch and rebuilding would cost. However, it’s really a personal decision.

I had to do a lot of “basics” on AC work to where I now know a little more than the mechanics out here who just guess. I hate, hate, hate air conditioning work because many just never get it right. They’ll say, “I put 3 pounds of Freon in”, versus just saying I put 26 ounces in, like the manual states. Next thing you know, the AC is overcharged, and it could take forever to realize the “leak” is actually a “clog” because the desiccant bag broke and spit granules into the expansion valve.

cbird805
1995 Infiniti Q45 Base

I keep forgetting that Trump use to be President. I live in California, where that probably doesn't apply anyway. Also, with the F50/Y34 ac system, it's difficult to recharge the system using store bought canisters. It doesn't have enough pressure to effectively charge the system. Instead of buying extra equipment to fill the ac system, it's cheaper to have a shop fill it. Besides, Freon isn't good for you, regardless of type. There is alway more than one way to do things, and each has its pros and cons. Just my two cents on the least costly way to fix it.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”