AC FAN DELAYED COMING ON

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
jetjock85
Car: Infiniti G35S

Started having this problem with my 2007 Infiniti G35S about a month ago. The AC compressor will come on, but the blower will delay coming on anywhere between 5-15 minutes. When the fan comes on it works great from there on out. It is also intermittent. Anyone else had this issue in the past? Would like avoid the dealer on this one if at all possible.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

jetjock85 wrote:Started having this problem with my 2007 Infiniti G35S about a month ago. The AC compressor will come on, but the blower will delay coming on anywhere between 5-15 minutes. When the fan comes on it works great from there on out. It is also intermittent. Anyone else had this issue in the past? Would like avoid the dealer on this one if at all possible.
Welcome to NICO

The AC system is quite complex.

Check out te FSM

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/2 ... dan/ec.pdf

I won't let anyone but the dealer touch my vehicle

Telcoman

jetjock85

Thanks for the link to the FSM . After taking the car into the dealer they said it needed a new fan motor. After installing the new fan motor there was no change....compressor still coming on with no blower. The one thing I had failed to check the first time was the blower motor relay. I swapped the blower motor relay with another and it works great now.The relay part number is 25230-79942. The blower relay is located on the back of the fuse panel.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

jetjock85 wrote:Thanks for the link to the FSM . After taking the car into the dealer they said it needed a new fan motor. After installing the new fan motor there was no change....compressor still coming on with no blower. The one thing I had failed to check the first time was the blower motor relay. I swapped the blower motor relay with another and it works great now.The relay part number is 25230-79942. The blower relay is located on the back of the fuse panel.
So was the root cause the relay or both the relay and the fan motor?

jetjock85

Sorry for the super late reply, but the only problem was the relay.

Dice916
Car: 2007 infiniti g35x

Any way to know it the 35s and 35x relay switches are in the same spot?

jetjock85

I'm not sure if the relay's are in the same spot, but on the G35S relay is on the lower left kick panel underneath the parking brake. The relay is located on the back side of the fuse panel. I took it to Infiniti and they replaced the blower motor and that didn't fix it so I did my own troubleshooting and found that the relay was bad.....40 dollar fix versus a 200.00 dollar fix. Hope this helps!

Dice916

Thanks a lot! I have purchased the relay, but wasn't sure where it was located. I will check this out and hopefully it will be in same place.

jetjock85

Your welcome!

Dice916

Hey wanted to thank you again for the post of this issue, I was able to purchase the part online and do the work myself. Saved me a ton of money and time!

sweetwater5
Car: 2007 G35X

Having the same issue.
Last edited by sweetwater5 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sweetwater5
Car: 2007 G35X

Dice916 wrote:Hey wanted to thank you again for the post of this issue, I was able to purchase the part online and do the work myself. Saved me a ton of money and time!

Dice,
I'm new here and have been experiencing the same problem with my 2007 G35X for the past month. Heat and A/C work fine if it will actually blow. Sometimes turning it on and off several times will get it to finally blow again.
I just wanted to verify the part number (25230-79942) and the location of the relay. Sounds like a simple fix?

KCCB
Car: 2007 G35S Sedan

The previous posters are correct, it is the blower relay. Located behind panel, left of parking brake (AT), Must remove entire plastic panel, not just the access. You will see the fuse panel, at the top and left side of the fuse panel you will see a couple tabs that can be pressed to unlock the panel, pull the panel toward the inside of the car to dismount. On the back side of the fuse panel you will find 4 relays that match Duralast 20578, the top one is the blower relay. I haven't been able to find a diagram that shows them or anything that indicates what each relay is for. I tested by pulling the bottom relay and replacing with the top while the car was running and blower turned on high (but not blowing), no change, took the bottom relay and put it up top, and immediately the blower came on. This caused a check engine light, was read as connectivity network error, will replace the bad (bottom) relay tomorrow and should cure the error.

Symptoms: After warming up car, and driving it for 15-40 minutes, the blower was set on high but would not blow even though vehicle temp was up to normal. The blower would sometimes come on after 15 minutes and sometimes after 30 or 40 minutes or not at all. The part listed at Autozone refers to Duralast 20279 but this is incorrect, you need Duralast 20578 which is listed as rear defrost blower relay(controls main blower as well).

Hopefully this was thorough enough to save someone some time.

Irish_One
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Sedan

@ KCCB -

Thank you! You saved me a ton of time. I had the panel off but did not know which of the 4 relays on the back of the fuse panel was the blower motor. Pulled the top one off, replaced it and the blower is working perfectly.

As info for other G35 owners having the same issue, I found the blower motor relay in stock at several O'Reilly Auto Parts for USD$33.99 + tax. O'Reilly's part number is 25-0347 (Import Direct Ignition - Blower Motor Relay)

Irish_One
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Sedan

One quick point of clarification, if your fuse box near the parking break is vertical and there are three blue relays on the back; the correct one to change is the relay on the bottom. Otherwise stated, nearest the "spare" fuses listed on the front.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Sux when service shops sell the higher-end part first instead of actually tracing the problem. I'm sure the FSM would have walked them through testing the relay. if it does then you would have a good enough point to potentially get some of your money back.

tjrob2000
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey sedan

I just came across this thread while searching on the same problem. The FSM does have a troubleshooting procedure so the dealer tech should've been able to diagnose it better. Also, the FSM shows the blower motor relay on the bottom. The top is the ignition relay. When the top is removed the climate control will be off. Remove the bottom and only the blower doesn't work. i haven't replaced the relay yet as it so I don't know if it is the root cause. I'll likely get to this in the next few days.

In other searches I've seen some refer to a resistor (which I know some newer cars have, like my Porsche Cayenne) but I do not see one on this car. I believe the blower motor includes this as when I removed the bottom panel to the blower there looks to be a resistor/capacitor network there that is integral to the blower. From the description in the FSM the speed is controlled by a unified meter and A/C amp. I don't know where this is located, but don't think it is the problem.

cmadden1000
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35

This thread about the AC blower delay was incredibly helpful. Nailed the symptoms and the cause and the fix for a fraction of the cost ($32) of dealer intervention. After learning where the relay is located behind the fuse panel, I learned where exactly to tap with my foot to get the AC to come on while waiting for the replacement relay to arrive by post. Worked every time. When I installed the new part, the access and removal instructions were spot on. Except there was some ambiguity in whether it was 3 or 4 blue relays and top or bottom. In my case, 2007 G35 sedan, it was four and bottom was the culprit. Thanks all who contributed to this knowledge!

Note that while trouble shooting, I removed the top relay which controls lots of things, including the dash gauges and shift interlock. So I could not move the car for a time without using the shift interlock manual override. So be aware of the relay situation.

allsmiles
Car: 2007 g35x

the blower fan relay was the culprit for me too 2007 G35x sedan auto. It took 15 minutes to turn on. The relay can be pricey if you need it right away. I bought one on amazon that turned out to be wrong, then ordered a replacement (standard RY612 $15CAN) and it was wrong too (had 5 poles). however I was able to cut off the extra pin and file the outside profile to make it fit quickly. the correct blue relay is 25230-79942 (4 pole). The relay is the lowest relay behind the 2 blower fuses on the interior fuse panel. I had traded the relay on the top to troubleshoot, but that one was for the main display cluster, which also locks the shifter. When the relay is in the failed condition you can tap the fuse panel with your foot and the contacts might close. a good way to troubleshoot. BTW, I busted the door trim removing it but welded it good as new with a portasol gas soldering iron using a hot air tip. hope this info helps.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”