AC compressor pulley noise

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
HarleyRob
Car: 2008 Rogue

Hello, my first post..

Let me start by saying the compressor does not work and has not worked since my daughter bought the car two yrs ago. Not having Ac doesn’t bother her.

My daughters 2008 Rogue started making a terrible rattle/knock noise. I isolated it to the Ac compressor pulley. I’ve seen threads about replacing the pulley/clutch etc bc compressor is not engaging when turned on. But does the pulley alone ever go bad? And can you just replace the pulley?

Do I have to replace w pulley clutch kit to rectify? Replace Whole compressor?

If you do nothing, Does it hurt to drive the vehicle with pulley acting like this?

Im Trying to attach two videos to provide a visual but keeps saying “error”. Not sure what to do

Thank you

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

I replaced my ac pulley this past summer. There is a bearing in the pulley that goes bad, Continuing to drive it will eventually cause the bearing to lock up or disintegrate probably breaking your serpentine belt. I found a pulley on amazon. Get the numbers/name/model number off the side of the compressor. Search amazon, get the whole kit I think it's about $60.

Remove the front right tire and the inner fender liner. The compressor will be right in front of you, take off the center nut a 10 or 12 mm I think, there is a snap ring down in there, remove that. You'll need long jaw snap ring pliers (home depot, lowes, amazon, autozone etc) Tap the clutch with a rubber mallet till it moves and wiggle it off. Reinstall in reverse order making sure the snap ring is fully seated. Fairly simple. If your ac compressor won't engage this is a likely culprit, dealers and garages typically replace the entire compressor to the tune of several hundred or even a thousand or more dollars.

You do not need to open the ac system and chances are her ac just might work after your'e done.

HarleyRob
Car: 2008 Rogue

Rogue Jarhead wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:31 am
I replaced my ac pulley this past summer. There is a bearing in the pulley that goes bad, Continuing to drive it will eventually cause the bearing to lock up or disintegrate probably breaking your serpentine belt. I found a pulley on amazon. Get the numbers/name/model number off the side of the compressor. Search amazon, get the whole kit I think it's about $60.

Remove the front right tire and the inner fender liner. The compressor will be right in front of you, take off the center nut a 10 or 12 mm I think, there is a snap ring down in there, remove that. You'll need long jaw snap ring pliers (home depot, lowes, amazon, autozone etc) Tap the clutch with a rubber mallet till it moves and wiggle it off. Reinstall in reverse order making sure the snap ring is fully seated. Fairly simple. If your ac compressor won't engage this is a likely culprit, dealers and garages typically replace the entire compressor to the tune of several hundred or even a thousand or more dollars.

You do not need to open the ac system and chances are her ac just might work after your'e done.
Thank you for the response. And good instructions! Did as you suggested (did watch one video too) and removed the clutch. You called it...bearing in the pulley was half disintegrated. Ordered the replacement kit for $62. Should be here in a few days, and hopefully have her back up and going. Thanks again!

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

I forgot to suggest that there was probably a video on you tube. Glad you got it.

Return to “Rogue Forum”