Ac clutch bolt

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
Critta
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima

I’m currently trying to get the bolt off the ac clutch. Just trying to double check the direction to turn to loosen. Trying counter clockwise. Just want to be sure that is right. Also I’ve tried heating it to release the lock tight or whatever stuff the put on the bolt from factory. Using a little blow torch anyone have any recommendations how long to heat? This thing won’t budge. Have already cut a slot to use a large screw driver to loosen but nothing no movement at all.
Thanks.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Cutting a slot in bolt is going backwards. A screwdriver slot cannot have as much torque applied to it as the original likely 8 mm. bolt head would. That bolt now likely destroyed and the entire clutch and maybe compressor coming up next, the clutch main bearing destroys with heat there and likely the front compressor seal as well. The WRONG way to go next. Normal direction to loosen is counter clockwise.

The only out left now is entire removal of the bolt head itself without damaging the clutch front faceplate. Drillbit or grind head off. And if done like the rest here (skills and the work) likely that will destroy more too.

Critta

amc49 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:43 pm
Cutting a slot in bolt is going backwards. A screwdriver slot cannot have as much torque applied to it as the original likely 8 mm. bolt head would. That bolt now likely destroyed and the entire clutch and maybe compressor coming up next, the clutch main bearing destroys with heat there and likely the front compressor seal as well. The WRONG way to go next. Normal direction to loosen is counter clockwise.

The only out left now is entire removal of the bolt head itself without damaging the clutch front faceplate. Drillbit or grind head off. And if done like the rest here (skills and the work) likely that will destroy more too.
Well first off - I said bolt but it’s not a true bolt with a head you can grab hold off with a socket. It’s a round bolt with a hex head center. The hex head got stripped trying to get it out. Thus the reason for cutting the slot in the head. Secondly - I was hoping for help from people who have actually gotten their clutch off. Based on your reply that everything is now ruined and I need to just replace the whole compressor - I’d wager you’ve never actually removed an AC clutch from a 2010 Altima before. I was asking for helpful advice from someone who had actually removed a clutch before - not armchair criticism. Now for those that may need to this in the future I’ll tell you exactly how to do it. Had I known all this before hand I would’ve had this done in an hour not 2 days.

First off I got it finished. Nothing I could find online saidhow to do it. YouTube had videos but they were useless. They all skipped the part of exactly how to get the bolt out. Now here’s how to do it:

I think I could have gotten it off with the original hex head bolt without stripping the head of the bolt if I had just heated it with a propane torch to begin with. I didn’t and ended up stripping the head trying to get it out. I used a Ryobi cordless rotary tool to cut a slot in the head for a 3/8 inch flat head screwdriver you can attach a socket and ratchet to get more torque (from Harbor Freight). Tried turning the bolt like that and it would not budge. Tried a small butane torch to heat it and it would not budge. I figured it had to be red locktite used on the bolt from factory. Looked up online to see how hot I needed to get it to release – around 500 degrees was needed. Used a FLIR thermal camera to see how hot the bolt was getting after removing the small butane torch. Only about 200 degrees. So I tried a propane torch (the handheld blue tanks you can buy from Home Depot for like $20) and heated it. The FLIR camera only says >386 degrees so I was not sure about the exact temperature but let it heat about 1 minute and 45 seconds until it started to smoke a little bit. Let it cool a bit and tried the screwdriver with the ratchet and it turned about a ¼ of turn and then would not budge. Heated it again this time for about 30 seconds – did not let it cool and turned it again and it loosened some more and stopped. Each time I had to heat, turn the bolt and it would harden back up and repeat. Finally got it out after about 4-5 rounds of heating, loosening and repeating. Next was the clutch face plate. It should’ve just come right off no tools need like it showed on youtube. Nope. Tried pulling, tried prying, tried screwing in a bolt just into the threads of the plate itself and pulling with a wire wrapped around the bolt. Nothing it would not budge. Thought maybe it somehow got some of the Locktite behind it and it hardened back up so I heated the plate with the propane torch for 30 seconds and used to screwdrivers with little hooks on the end to try it and pry it off with. Came off with no problem whatsoever. Just slid right off. Carefully turned it over and removed the 2 spacers in the faceplate.

Removed the snap lock ring on the pulley easily. The snap lock ring holding the electromagnet was a problem to get off. Don’t even try the cheapy $5 snap lock pliers from Harbor Freight, or the $14 pair they sell. Also no 90 degree sets either unless the tips are long. The pair I had would hit the magnet and would not reach into the channel to grab the snap ring. I bought a pair of straight Channel Lock snap ring pliers from Lowe’s and finally got it off. The problem is the ring is very difficult to open enough to slide off the compressor to release the magnet. I’m going to order a different pair that opens wider to make the job easier if I ever have to take another snap ring off again. So if you plan on doing this – get the largest straight snap ring pliers you can. Once that was done just put all the new components on in reverse order. Been using the AC in Louisiana 90 degree heat the past 2 days with no problems. Works perfectly fine. Didn’t need a new $1400 compressor, drier, condenser or all that other crap mechanics were saying were neeed. Nothing was wrong with the compressor just needed a new electromagnet to help pull the clutch plate onto the pulley. Just a $45 AC clutch assembly off of Ebay and a little time and elbow grease.

Critta

Critta wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:54 am
amc49 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:43 pm

I said bolt but it’s not a true bolt with a head you can grab hold off with a socket. It’s a round bolt with a hex head center. The hex head got stripped trying to get it out. Thus the reason for cutting the slot in the head. Secondly - I was hoping for help from people who have actually gotten their clutch off. Based on your reply that everything is now ruined and I need to just replace the whole compressor - I’d wager you’ve never actually removed an AC clutch from a 2010 Altima before. I was asking for helpful advice from someone who had actually removed a clutch before - not armchair criticism. Now for those that may need to this in the future I’ll tell you exactly how to do it. Had I known all this before hand I would’ve had this done in an hour not 2 days.

It took a while but I got it finished. Nothing I could find online said how to do it. YouTube had videos but they were useless. They all skipped the part of exactly how to get the bolt out. Now here’s how to do it:

I think I could have gotten it off with the original hex head bolt without stripping the head of the bolt if I had just heated it with a propane torch to begin with. I didn’t and ended up stripping the head trying to get it out. I used a Ryobi cordless rotary tool to cut a slot in the head for a 3/8 inch flat head screwdriver you can attach a socket and ratchet to get more torque (from Harbor Freight). Tried turning the bolt like that and it would not budge. Tried a small butane torch to heat it and it would not budge. I figured it had to be red locktite used on the bolt from factory. Looked up online to see how hot I needed to get it to release – around 500 degrees was needed. Used a FLIR thermal camera to see how hot the bolt was getting after removing the small butane torch. Only about 200 degrees. So I tried a propane torch (the handheld blue tanks you can buy from Home Depot for like $20) and heated it. The FLIR camera only says >386 degrees so I was not sure about the exact temperature but let it heat about 1 minute and 45 seconds until it started to smoke a little bit. Let it cool a bit and tried the screwdriver with the ratchet and it turned about a ¼ of turn and then would not budge. Heated it again this time for about 30 seconds – did not let it cool and turned it again and it loosened some more and stopped. Each time I had to heat, turn the bolt and it would harden back up and repeat. Finally got it out after about 4-5 rounds of heating, loosening and repeating. Next was the clutch face plate. It should’ve just come right off no tools need like it showed on youtube. Nope. Tried pulling, tried prying, tried screwing in a bolt just into the threads of the plate itself and pulling with a wire wrapped around the bolt. Nothing it would not budge. Thought maybe it somehow got some of the Locktite behind it and it hardened back up so I heated the plate with the propane torch for 30 seconds and used to screwdrivers with little hooks on the end to try it and pry it off with. Came off with no problem whatsoever. Just slid right off. Carefully turned it over and removed the 2 spacers in the faceplate.

Removed the snap lock ring on the pulley easily. The snap lock ring holding the electromagnet was a problem to get off. Don’t even try the cheapy $5 snap lock pliers from Harbor Freight, or the $14 pair they sell. Also no 90 degree sets either unless the tips are long. The pair I had would hit the magnet and would not reach into the channel to grab the snap ring. I bought a pair of straight Channel Lock snap ring pliers from Lowe’s and finally got it off. The problem is the ring is very difficult to open enough to slide off the compressor to release the magnet. I’m going to order a different pair that opens wider to make the job easier if I ever have to take another snap ring off again. So if you plan on doing this – get the largest straight snap ring pliers you can. Once that was done just put all the new components on in reverse order. Been using the AC in Louisiana 90 degree heat the past 2 days with no problems. Works perfectly fine. Didn’t need a new $1400 compressor, drier, condenser or all that other crap mechanics were saying were neeed. Nothing was wrong with the compressor just needed a new electromagnet to help pull the clutch plate onto the pulley. Just a $45 AC clutch assembly off of Ebay and a little time and elbow grease.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

You just described every single a/c clutch used on the planet for the last 25 years. All they apparently did was change the head of the center bolt to a Torx and you may have messed it up by simply using the wrong size tip, there is a sizing issue in there where one tip looks like it fits but it is slightly too small and then strips the head of bolt out instantly. Common mistake. Using crap tools often has the tip not going fully into the hole bottomed out too and strips out the rest of the bolt heads. Attention to detail likely killed you there.

Your heat reading said 386 degrees and you went further, the seal if that temp is pretty much going to screw up in the future. The seal plastic melts at less than that.

Luck with that $45 clutch, they commonly use crap Chinese bearings to fail ultra fast. Many have virtually no grease in them. I change the bearing alone using same clutch parts at half that price but using a premium bearing that lasts forever. Done them in a half hour before. I mod snap ring pliers to work that particular job since they are so cheap.

'I was asking for helpful advice from someone who had actually removed a clutch before - not armchair criticism.'

Thank you. I'd bet I have changed 20X the numbers of a/c clutches you have. I at least know how to not strip out the bolt. I have removed non-working clutches to 'rebuild' them back to spec and back up and running for years at zero cost. Lessee you do that, I have never stripped bolts out doing it either.

'Once that was done just put all the new components on in reverse order.'

Hope you set that faceplate airgap right or more problems coming up. That says no to me. So you got a setup that works...........for now. The problem being if the setting is on the outer edge of acceptability the clutch works fine for a week or a month and then begins to slip, or not pull across to lock, or drag. A difference of ten thousandths of an inch can make a difference in lasting of years there.

From an armchair..............

macgiver

Armchair is "Locked & Loaded" hah ! :rotflmao

YouTube/autofixpals

Every AC compressor that i have changed on Nissan says Valeo on it. The OEM compressor is about 700 dollars from the dealer. However, and i am not saying that the quality is exactly the same. They sell Valeo brand compressors at Rockauto for $260. Which is not too bad IMO. You can also get a Denso (another OEM company) $250 on rockauto. Personally being able to just pull that compressor out and replace it seems like the path of least resistance. I am a technician at Nissan now. But MANY MANY years ago i worked as a Ford tech and we used to service the clutches and coils on AC compressors. It was a pain in the a** to do back then and from what i am reading its a pain in the a** to do now. We replace the compressor at the Nissan Dealer i work at with either a Nissan compressor (says Valeo on the side) or an aftermarket compressor from a place locally called "the radiator store" which sends us a brown box compressor that says Valeo on the side and it looks a lot like the Nissan compressor except the clutch is a different design. Thats an option we use if the customer is looking for something cheaper. We have not had to redo any of those compressors because of premature failure. I k now most of you don't have an AC machine so thats probably an additional expense. However most service garages have one, they are almost fool proof to use. So i would just go tot he place that's going to be the cheapest to reclaim your system and recharge it when you replace the AC compressor. I have a video on my YouTube showing compressor replacement on a Murano. It's very much like changing it on a v6 L32 altima.

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”