AC blower not coming on

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ChadS
Car: 2009 Nissan Frontier VQ40DE
2015 Nissan Rogue Select

I have a 2015 Nissan Rogue and I think the AC blower has gone out. Before I purchase a new one I want to make sure I didn't overlook something. I did a voltage test on the 15A fuses (circled red) by connecting lead on back of fuse to ground and everything looks good and fuse is not blown either. I noticed the motor (circled blue) is on it's on circuit so I think the fuses drive the blower motor circuit somehow but the schematic doesn't illustrate this very well. I've seen some youtube videos where you need to replace some kind of resistor but I don't see this in the schematic. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Screenshot 2023-09-02 165721.png

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The Variable Blower Control (VBC) controls ground to the motor, not power. The motor has power all the time. This post should help you out:
post6817775.html?hilit=blower%20basics#p6817775

ChadS
Car: 2009 Nissan Frontier VQ40DE
2015 Nissan Rogue Select

What's confusing about all this is the term "resistor" is the same as the VBC. I kept looking for a physical resistor in the schematic. What makes this worse is the industry still refers to this part as a resistor when its actually a VBC.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That's true, and you're right that it's a misnomer. Very few vehicles have actual resistors anymore, but since the effect of the VBC is to resist (actually permit, but let's not make it any muddier) the industry pretty much refuses to change the terminology. To complicate things further, Nissan likes to call their HVAC controllers "A/C Auto Amps" even though they don't amplify anything. Go figure.
:crazy:

andygold
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Black/Almond

If it turns out to be the blower motor (the one in my 2015 SL died last summer), I'd recommend spending the money on a OEM Nissan replacement. I decided to get and aftermarket replacement and following an excellent YouTube video replaced it myself. Almost everything on the dash needs to be removed (vents, radio, A/C controls, trim panels, glove box). I purchased a known brand for blower motors for around $70 from one of the local auto parts stores. When it arrived, and I got everything apart, I compared the two units and noticed that the squirrel cage fan blade was about 2 inches shorter in length compared to the Nissan unit.(same diameter as the original). Figuring it was an updated design, as the company is known for their blower motor units, I installed it, and put the whole dash back together. Upon turning the blower on, I found that the new unit on high only blew a small percentage of what the old blower moved. That 2" shorter blade seemed to be allowing air to bypass the outlet pipe that leads up into the dash, and recycled air back to it's own opening, just constantly pushing the same air through the blade.
Upon removing it from the car (having to totally strip the dashboard down again), and bringing it back to the store, they assured me it was the correct part, even after showing them my burned out Nissan blower. I ended up returning it and getting a refund, and went down to Nissan and bought an OEM blower. $70, vs $200 for an OEM , but I wished I had spent the extra money the first time around and didn't have to rip the entire dash apart a second time! The Nissan unit blew as it should.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The squirrel cage has to be a tight clearance to the housing for it to work. The air is entering the inside of the cage and then being thrown centrifugally through the blades to the outside. When the length of the cage is too short, much of the air that gets thrown out simply loops around parasitically through the gap and never makes it to the vents, greatly reducing both flow and pressure. For anyone else who might find themselves in the same boat as you, if the size of the cage is wrong then don't even try to install it, it won't work.

I'm not sure why you needed to remove any of the centerstack, I've never needed to remove anything but the glovebox on a gen2. The only trick is not trying to get the electrical connector loose until the blower itself is loose. Take the screw out, rotate the blower counterclockwise (tap-tapping with a long screwdriver if necessary to get it to move), pop it partway out of the cavity, then you can angle it and get the electrical connector. Reverse the procedure when installing, get the blower partway into the cavity and then insert the connector before twisting it in clockwise (tap-tapping again if necessary to seat it).

Return to “Rogue Forum”