AC 2000 Altima problematic!

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
dancin123
Car: Nissan Altima GXE 2000

I have a 2000 Nissan Altima. I bought it used in 2006. I didn't notice the AC being a problem when I took it for a test drive upon buying it, nor did the mechanic who gave it the once over notice anything. It got a clean bill of health so I bought it. Shortly thereafter I did notice the AC was not very powerful. It comes on and off and sometimes just doesn't work at all. I took it to a trusted mechanic about a month ago. He said it needed a new compressor, that the one in there was burned out. They put in the refurbished compressor and said I needed one more part but to bring the car back in a few days. The AC was ice cold and awesome. However, when I brought it back to get the other part put in, a new hose, and drove it away, the AC was once again sort of lukewarm. I called again and brought it in again. This time they said a new "line" of some sort was needed. Don't know what that means, but I said go ahead and do it.

After waiting awhile at the mechanic, he finally said that there was an even MORE complicated issue, perhaps a wiring problem with the radio or something, and they would need to keep it another few days to figure it out! THis is after spending $700.00 for the new compressor that I thought would fix the problem. I still have to pick it up again. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on here or have a similar problem? Did they misdiagnose it, and what if it still doesn't work? Thank you! Any thoughts appreciated!!

Amaya928
Car: Nissan Altima 2000

hmm not sure what kind or mechanic you taking ur car but i think the overall issue was with the tensors on ur A/C compressor was already messup so yeah u probbably needed ur new compressor is recomended when u buy a new compresor to buy it with the whole thing it will include two other important items that dont rember wat is it called, all together will be u spending like $500 bucks and probably total of $600 should be spend on that.. ur mechanic should has after he installed the compressor check for any damages lines that was he "suppose" to do after intalling for testing but i recomend to take ur car with a profesional, iam not a mechanic but i have been on several problems with my Nissans i had 3 cars and specially one with a/c problems LOL!!!

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”