ABS light will not turn off

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
skittlenips
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Hey everyone, I was getting a code from my ABS about the right wheel speed sensor being out. I replaced the sensor and the light is still illuminated but after scanning the code is no longer there. My scanner cannot erase the codes. How do you clear these? Attached are the codes before and after sensor replacement.

https://imgur.com/a/KeXuHYf

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I can't tell what your scanner is seeing, probably the upload codes for Consult2 but Nissan never specified those by numbers. There were no "C" codes in '01, the C2 gave you a direct list like "RR Sensor Open", etc. You might be better off reading the blinky codes from the ABS lamp, there's a chart for those. There's a check pin in the gray Consult connector, see page BR-41 here:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 0%2Fbr.pdf

Grounding the check pin puts the ABS in diag mode and you can read the flashes, and also clear codes. See BR-42 for how to read the flashes and BR-54 for the malfunction chart.

skittlenips

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:41 pm
I can't tell what your scanner is seeing, probably the upload codes for Consult2 but Nissan never specified those by numbers. There were no "C" codes in '01, the C2 gave you a direct list like "RR Sensor Open", etc. You might be better off reading the blinky codes from the ABS lamp, there's a chart for those. There's a check pin in the gray Consult connector, see page BR-41 here:

Grounding the check pin puts the ABS in diag mode and you can read the flashes, and also clear codes. See BR-42 for how to read the flashes and BR-54 for the malfunction chart.
I attempted this but I’m not sure which pin is #9, I tried using a paper clip and connecting pin #9 and pin #4 (ground) and I couldn’t get the light to flash for diagnostics. Do you have a picture of what pin is actually number 9 and which one is 4?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The ABS check wire should be Yellow on pin 9 of the OBD port for both '01 versions. There should be a Red/Yellow on pin 1 directly across from it to get you oriented, that's the ECM check wire.

skittlenips

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:06 pm
The ABS check wire should be Yellow on pin 9 of the OBD port for both '01 versions. There should be a Red/Yellow on pin 1 directly across from it to get you oriented, that's the ECM check wire.
I have the plug grounded like this, I turn the key to the run position and wait 3 seconds and the ABS light doesn’t flash. Am I grounding this wrong?

https://imgur.com/a/hgHbTSP

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That looks right, but I believe the car has to be driven first or it won't enter diag. Here's the procedure from the FSM:

SELF-DIAGNOSIS PROCEDURE
1. Drive vehicle over 30 km/h (19 MPH) for at least one minute
2. Turn ignition switch OFF
3. Ground terminal 9 of data link connector with a suitable harness
4. Turn ignition switch ON while grounding terminal 9. Do not depress brake pedal
5. After 3.0 seconds, the warning lamp starts flashing to indicate
the malfunction code No

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - That applies to clearing a lot of ABS codes as well, even on later models. Lots of "C" DTC's require driving the car far enough for the DTC to go "past" before they will clear.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

skittlenips wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:26 pm
Hey everyone, I was getting a code from my ABS about the right wheel speed sensor being out. I replaced the sensor and the light is still illuminated but after scanning the code is no longer there. My scanner cannot erase the codes. How do you clear these? Attached are the codes before and after sensor replacement.
Here's a cool codes clearing hack I learned many years ago after I first bought my '02 Pathfinder and had to clear a DTC after I replaced an O2 sensor. I am not sure it works with the ABS warning light or not but it's worth giving it a try. I was amazed this was actually a thing. Hint: Timing is important when counting the seconds for this hacking procedure so be very patient and accurate with these steps.

1. Turn the key to the On position. (engine not running)
2. Wait 3 seconds and then fully step down on the gas pedal and let go fully 5 times with in 5 seconds.
3. Wait 6 seconds and then...
4. Fully press down on the gas pedal and hold for about 10 seconds.
5. The check engine light should now start flashing 10 times, stop a few seconds, and then repeat flashing.
(release the pedal after it starts flashing)
6. While it's flashing, hold down the gas pedal for 10 seconds and then release the pedal.
7. Turn the key off.
8. Wait a few seconds and then turn the motor on.

The trouble codes should now be cleared and the check engine light should not turn on.
I hope this works for the ABS warning light and associate trouble codes as well.

Good luck.

skittlenips

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:59 pm
PS - That applies to clearing a lot of ABS codes as well, even on later models. Lots of "C" DTC's require driving the car far enough for the DTC to go "past" before they will clear.
I’m not gonna lie - I’m pretty mechanically inclined (swapped engines etc) I even did the NAV AC conversion on this truck with no issue, and I cannot get this to enter diagnostics even after driving.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Did you try this little known hack procedure? Years ago, I think it was in this forum at NICOclub where I learned of this procedure. It is posted here.
how-to-reset-ecu-clear-dtc-codes-t445684.html

skittlenips

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:41 pm

By gray consult2 connector do You mean the OBD2 port? Or is there another connector I’m supposed to be doing this to?

My other question is this - are ABS codes supposed to go away when the problem is fixed or are they required to be cleared? The fact that the FSM details a clearing procedure makes me think they need to be cleared manually.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I checked, your '01 doesn't have the gray connector. Around '00~'01 is when Nissan stopped putting them in. Your ride has the check pins on the OBD2 port. Just about all ABS codes will self-clear after some driving, but that can take awhile. The ABS has to pass a number of consecutive SRT's (self-readiness tests) before a "past" error will self-erase. How many successful SRT's it takes for any particular DTC to clear is variable.

skittlenips

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:07 am
I checked, your '01 doesn't have the gray connector. Around '00~'01 is when Nissan stopped putting them in. Your ride has the check pins on the OBD2 port. Just about all ABS codes will self-clear after some driving, but that can take awhile. The ABS has to pass a number of consecutive SRT's (self-readiness tests) before a "past" error will self-erase. How many successful SRT's it takes for any particular DTC to clear is variable.
Took it to a local shop and my ABS code still wouldn’t clear with their fancy snap-on scan tool, maybe I just have a bad ABS module. I’m gonna grab one from the junkyard and replace it today.

skittlenips

Replaced the ABS module with one from the junkyard, it was from a 4WD and mine is 2WD which is causing the ABS light to stay on because it doesn’t detect the G-sensor. Gonna make another trip and grab one from a 2WD pathfinder and this should be fixed 👍

skittlenips

I’ve replaced the module with one from a 2001 pathfinder 2WD and I get the same codes as my old ABS module. Kill me

QX4ME
Car: 02 Infiniti QX4 4WD
11 MB C300 Sports
06 Honda Odyssey

My ABS and 4WD warning lights stay on, Innova 5410 scanner indicates the front passenger side ABS speed sensor is bad (open). Anyone knows where this sensor connector is located? I can't find it under the hood. The closest connector has four wires so that is not the ABS sensor connector.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It should be in the wheel well (most of the front ones are). Looks like it's passing through with a grommet. See page EL-572 here, it's connector E51:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 2%2FEL.pdf

QX4ME
11 MB C300 Sports
06 Honda Odyssey

Thank you VStar650CL!
Yes, I saw the sensor wire goes through a grommet into the engine bay then I lost where the connector is. From the drawing, I can't tell if it is easy to reach from top or from underneith. I will look harder or give the job to a mechanic.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Usually they come out into the back side of the wheel well, but on some models they bury it under the wheel well liner. If you peel back the rear half of the liner, that's the most likely spot.

QX4ME
11 MB C300 Sports
06 Honda Odyssey

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:58 am
Usually they come out into the back side of the wheel well, but on some models they bury it under the wheel well liner. If you peel back the rear half of the liner, that's the most likely spot.
I will check behind the liner hopefully it is there. Thank you again!

QX4ME
11 MB C300 Sports
06 Honda Odyssey

I took a look behind FR liner. Ther is no ABS sensor connector. Looked under the hood again still can't find the connector among so many other stuff in there. So I will provide OEM sensor to mechanic and pay the labor cost.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”