ABS light on - Pump constantly ON

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
andhan
Car: '90 240sx
'97 pathfinder se 4x4

Hi,
I'm wondering I anybody can give me some suggestions on how to tackle this problem properly

97 pathy 4x4 se stick

My ABS yellow light comes on and the abs/pump unit on the passenger side rearward most part of the engine bay remains turned on indefinitely emitting whining sound even if ignition is turned off and key removed

Whacking that pump module with a hammer immediately shuts it off and abs light is off after next start up
everything seemingly ok

What usually triggers this is going in reverse after start such as backing out of the parking space and applying the brakes to stop and start going forward.
It is definitely happening more the hotter it is and hot ambient temperature makes it come on more frequently
If everything is really hot it sometimes comes on with just going forwards from a stop usually just after starting the car.

again whacking it makes it stop. No pulsating pedal or any other symptoms

WHAT DO I DO ?? please, anybody ?
Thanks !

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Bleeding your brakes (brake flush) may help. I don't know anything else to suggest, though!

devonianwalk
Car: 99.5 Pathfinder LE 3.3

Check the brake fluid level in your ABS reservoir ... and bleed the brakes? Wife's Prelude had similar issues a few years back. All I had to do there was top off both brake reservoirs.

andhan
'97 pathfinder se 4x4

Ok, bleeding the brakes sounds doable
Not sure what you mean by ABS reservoir - must be the main brake fluid reservoir attached to brake booster -right ?? I'don't think there's another one other than the small one for the clutch.

What about cleaning the sensors at the wheels, do they unbolt easily ? should I hit them with brake cleaner or something milder ?
Are the abs sensors 'magnetic' or some other type ?

Is it possible to somehow pull the codes from the ABS -is this part of the main ECU ?

ARKQX33V6

Check and verify the sensors at that side, the dimensions must meet spec in your book and if out check for ferrous rust and/or debris around the sensor ring and the pick up. A brake fluid change out is needed if not done in the past 3-5 years.

If doing the brake fluid change watch out for tight nipples at the bleed out points, they will break if rusted on. Before wrenching them apply pinpoint heat then try tightening and then releasing, being very careful of stripping, breaking or rounding off the hex.

Make sure to bleed in the correct order and when about finished cause the ABS module to actuate to bleed it. You can cause the actuator to pulse by driving on slippery roads and deliberately cause a lock up. If the modulator still stays on, it may need a change.

andhan
'97 pathfinder se 4x4

It turned out to be a faulty ABS relay module located next to abs pump
I took the relay apart there's actually more than one in the relay module
one of the relays had burned contacts

Once I changed this relay module (got one on ebay for $50) abs functions returned to normal, no more abs light and
MY BATTERY DRAINING PROBLEM WENT AWAY TOO !!!

the car no longer kills the batteries it was the ABS RELAY MODULE all along

keep this in mind everybody !

and THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUGGESTIONS too.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

I'm glad you were able to fix the problem. Thanks for sharing the fix!

ovni51
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4

Help!!!! I have the same year model, same issue. Can NOT find the relay you are talking about?

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”