ABS control module is bad

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
wmike469
Car: 2015 nissan versa

I can't find a replacement anywhere for any Nissan's.
From the beginning, I took the car to get new front brake pads, the shop told me I needed a new front wheel bearing, which was $500, as soon as I drove off, the abs and traction control lights came on, I took it back, they said it was fixed, but as soon as I pulled out of the driveway they came back on, I took it back again, they told me if the lights came on again, they would have to replace the abs control module.
I have to assume that the shop broke it, I have seen estimates for just over $1000, but I haven't seen a place that actually does that work on any Nissan's, or any abs control modules that actually fit any Nissan's, so now I wonder how much the shop is screwing me over

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

If the wheel bearing is of the type that has one side that the ABS wheel sensor reads off of then simply putting it in backwards will make any ABS or traction control mess up. The problem would show as soon as the car is driven after the repair.

New brake pads should have gone nowhere near the ABS to mess it up.

wmike469
Car: 2015 nissan versa

If they put bearing in backwards, that would explain why it stopped working as soon as I drove off, Now I need to find a way to prove it before I accuse the mechanic of complete incompetence

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Go to Rock Auto and plug in the car and look at the wheel bearings. I looked at a couple and they appear to be the type. One side will have a black grease cover and the other side one of another color or a steel one. Normal non-ABS bearings have those side covers either both metal or the same color of plastic. The black side is the side the ABS sensor reads, it has a magnetic ring of impulse marks encoded on that side. Obviously, to read correctly the black side must face close to the ABS sensor tip.

Common mistake made by people who get paid to know better.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”