? about TPMS light

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Cristen
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD - Venetian Red

My TPMS light is on - came on this morning. I checked each tire tonight and had the following readings: 30, 31.5 (for 2 tires) and 31 psi. Is the 30 enough of a difference to cause the light to come on?

kazzan11236
Car: 2008 Nissan Rouge SL-FWD-Fully Loaded-Tints

i doubt it. cuz standars is between 28-32. 32psi being the max.

i heard someone with a 08 max been having trouble with the TPMS sensor/light

Cristen

Yeah I didn't think it would be enough... maybe it was because it was cold this morning. However it never went off at all today.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

I highly suspect that your sensors were really cold and probably reading a few psi lower than actual due to contraction of the air inside the tire. Since your location is very far north I would recommend setting your tire pressure at 33-35 to allow for acceptable parameter range for tire pressure variance.

philipa_240sx

A few important points.

- Tire pressure changes 1 psi for every 10 degF (or 5 degC) change in temperature.- Tire pressure should be checked first thing in the morning before driving. Reason: driving heats up the tires. The sun can also heat up the tires (hence the reason to check before the sun is really up).

You can easily get a 5psi drop in pressure and the TPMS light, esp if you set the tire pressure right after driving and/or in the heat of the day.

I have never gotten the TPMS light in my Rogue. I set the pressure at 35psi cold.

Harveyeyes
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Wicked Black/Grey Leather

Same thing was happening to me a week or two ago, and every time I filled to 33, it would still stay on. I called my Nissan dealer here in town, and they said it has been happening a lot and to fill around 34-35. I filled each tire to 34.5 and the light went off. HOpe that helps!

Leo2005

I never had light on in my rogue also until yesterday because I got a flat tire. Local shop replaced it with bridgestone.

Cristen

philipa_240sx wrote:A few important points.

- Tire pressure changes 1 psi for every 10 degF (or 5 degC) change in temperature.- Tire pressure should be checked first thing in the morning before driving. Reason: driving heats up the tires. The sun can also heat up the tires (hence the reason to check before the sun is really up).

You can easily get a 5psi drop in pressure and the TPMS light, esp if you set the tire pressure right after driving and/or in the heat of the day.

I have never gotten the TPMS light in my Rogue. I set the pressure at 35psi cold.
I checked my pressure about an hour after I got home from work. Its pitch black when I leave for work.

So, um, maybe a stupid question, but how are you setting the pressure to 35psi cold? Don't you have to drive to get to the air? Which leads me to another question - if it recommends setting it to 33psi cold (I assume cold), then what should I set it to if I am driving when I fill the tire?

philipa_240sx

Cristen wrote:So, um, maybe a stupid question, but how are you setting the pressure to 35psi cold? Don't you have to drive to get to the air? Which leads me to another question - if it recommends setting it to 33psi cold (I assume cold), then what should I set it to if I am driving when I fill the tire?
I own an air compressor. I can inflate my tires anytime I want.

For those without easy access to compressed air or even a manual tire pump, here is my suggestion:

On your way home from work in the evening, overinflate the tires to about 38-40psi. This is safe since the tires will already be warm and you won't exceed the maximum 45psi pressure.

The following morning, check your tire pressue. They should still be overinflated. Adjust the pressure by releasing some of the air (1-2 sec worth) and recheck the pressure. Keep doing this until you reach the desired pressure.

PS, you should buy a manual (foot or hand operated) tire pump and keep it in the car. Should you ever have to change a flat in the middle of nowhere and find your spare tire is down on air as well... you will be glad you have one.

philipa_240sx

Leo2005 wrote:I never had light on in my rogue also until yesterday because I got a flat tire. Local shop replaced it with bridgestone.
Lets hope they knew your Rogue has TPMS sensors. The sensor sticks out from the rim and can be easily damaged by tire changing equipment. There are proper methods to remove a tire without damaging the sensor.

ahhbeebee
Car: '08 Rogue SL FWD - Pearl White

Any tips in terms of proper methods? or just be careful? for whatever reason, I'm prone to getting flats.

dadsboy30188
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I had the same problem. The light stayed on for 4 days until I filled the tires to 35psi when cold, and the light went out. Thanks for your post.

Cristen

I will try filling my tires a bit. The numbers haven't changed in two days and when the tires were cold...

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

Cristen,

Don't bother playing with them, put them at 42 psi like I did.The ride is still as comfortable as at 35 psi, you will save some gas (about 0.3 to 0.5 l/100kms), and the light will be on only when you will get a problem.

From what I read, it doesn't increase the wear of the tire, and it is probably even better like that.

My 2 CAD cents.

kazzan11236

u guys are talking 40+psi for tires. i have NEVER heard anywhere that it is safe to fill ur tires up past 35psi... average is between 31/31-34/35.... i even looked it up in the Rouge service fixing thingy...

says the tire should be 33psi at fully filled... and on another page it says the tire should only be serviced (checked for holes/leaks) if the PSI is UNDER 26psi...

my good friend owns a rim and tire shop (anybody hit me up for the best deals!)

ill go there 2morrow and start lookin thru the tire books that break down every tire specific, psi it can hold, max, etc etc...

i may be wrong just saying...

philipa_240sx

We are going by the maximum inflation pressure stamped on the sidewall of the tire: 45psi. Anything up to 45psi is safe.

The recommended tire pressure printed on the door jamb sticker is determined by Nissan and depends on tire brand, vehicle weight, etc.

ahhbeebee

Hey Philip, have you got the Conti's on your car? I've got dunlops and the max pressure on the sidewall is actually 51 psi.

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

On the continentals, the max pressure is 45 psi.

On the michelin X-Ice I bought, it is 51 psi too. Right now, they are at this pressure. When I will put them on the car, I will decide the pressure... and see a nice little light on for the next 5 months

kazzan11236

i only look at the side of the tire for the tire size (working in the tire shop habit)

ill look for that max psi u guys talkin about. i shoulded be headed to my

boy's shop in a couple hours... im gonna check on that...

mstrmstr
Car: Venom Red ROGUE 08...and 4 others

Please note MAX pressures...are MAXIMUM SAFE STATIC PRESSURE.Dynamic pressure can become dangerous from heat-over or underinflation and driving habit.

At 70 MPH with correct inflation it is not uncommon to have a pressure rise of 5PSI and a increase of temperature of over 30 degrees F.

When using air vs Nitrogen inflation, the outside temperature has drastic effects on pressure. I've measured changes as high as 15lbs psi between 70 degrees ambient and 0 degrees F.

kazzan11236

mstrmstr wrote:Please note MAX pressures...are MAXIMUM SAFE STATIC PRESSURE.Dynamic pressure can become dangerous from heat-over or underinflation and driving habit.

At 70 MPH with correct inflation it is not uncommon to have a pressure rise of 5PSI and a increase of temperature of over 30 degrees F.

When using air vs Nitrogen inflation, the outside temperature has drastic effects on pressure. I've measured changes as high as 15lbs psi between 70 degrees ambient and 0 degrees F.
so ur saying if ur tires are at 30psi (just rounding it off from 32psi)

then at high speeds/temp the psi can raise to 45psi? well that wouldnt be good if u already fill ur tires to 40+

mstrmstr

underinflated can rise that high- thats where blowout happen.. hence tpms requirement

Under 20% RIP(recommended inflation pressure)= DANGEROUS

Overinflation is unpredictable.. be aware of foorprint/traction and tire wear pattern..

It gets complicated.. so don't vary much from RIP

ahhbeebee

I suggest the highly technical electrical tape fix

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

philipa_240sx wrote:
I own an air compressor. I can inflate my tires anytime I want.

For those without easy access to compressed air or even a manual tire pump, here is my suggestion:

On your way home from work in the evening, overinflate the tires to about 38-40psi. This is safe since the tires will already be warm and you won't exceed the maximum 45psi pressure.

The following morning, check your tire pressue. They should still be overinflated. Adjust the pressure by releasing some of the air (1-2 sec worth) and recheck the pressure. Keep doing this until you reach the desired pressure.

PS, you should buy a manual (foot or hand operated) tire pump and keep it in the car. Should you ever have to change a flat in the middle of nowhere and find your spare tire is down on air as well... you will be glad you have one.
This is a very good tip. My light came on and I checked all tires pumped up to recomended 33psi... the light did not go out after a few trips. Stopped by a air compressor on the way home today and filled to 40 psi+-. The light went out with in 2 miles. In the morning I'll need to drop the psi back to 33 psi. So it seems you need to overinflate the tires to reset the sensor.

mstrmstr

The prize goes to -Ticmxman-

In order to inflate a tire you need to do as all shops do.inflate to just under max static pressure(40 ish) then reduce pressure by bleeding when tire is cold. TPMS sensors DO need to be pressure reset.

Philip has great suggestions.. listen and learn.

Beagle_Hauler
Car: 1996 Suzuki X-90 & 1944 Ford GPW

Ah, one year old Rogue and the light came on the other day. Wife was driving it and said some weird yellow light was on.. Anyway, waited till the next morning. Three tires were at 32 and the fourth was at 30. It must sense when one more tires is more than 2 PSI off from the others. I filled all four to 34, and called the hounds to the Rogue. Half way up to the dog park the light went out. I think it needs three "senses" to all jive before turning the light out. The sensors only work by centrifugal force so once you get up to a certain speed (18 MPH or something) they send out their signals. Once you get three or more start/stops over that certain speed, the computer knows the tires are back to normal and trips the light out. Please be aware that tires rolling over pavement create friction. If they are under inflated it not only causes your engine to use more gas, your tires will generate more heat. Don't underinflate them, you risk a blowout! At the very least you eat up more gas and wear the tires much faster.

philipa_240sx

mstrmstr wrote:Please note MAX pressures...are MAXIMUM SAFE STATIC PRESSURE.Dynamic pressure can become dangerous from heat-over or underinflation and driving habit.
mstrmstr, you make a good point. Pressure will rise as the tire heats up from driving and increases in outdoor air temperature. You must take this into consideration when inflating tires.

If you overinflate as I suggested, do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure, and always leave a margin of error... say 5psi. In this case, inflate to 40psi, drive home, then adjust the tire pressure to the recommended setting of 33psi once cold (ie first thing in the morning).

Roguemeister

My light came on this morning. I checked the pressure before driving and all tires were within 29-32 psi. After driving to 3 local gas stations before finding an air compressor that actually worked I filled the tires to 33 psi as suggested on the door panel. It took about 20km of driving before the light went out.

Cristen

Roguemeister wrote:My light came on this morning. I checked the pressure before driving and all tires were within 29-32 psi. After driving to 3 local gas stations before finding an air compressor that actually worked I filled the tires to 33 psi as suggested on the door panel. It took about 20km of driving before the light went out.
This is exactly what happened with ours. After a week, the light came on again. Since I was about a week away from getting my snow tires on, I just ignored it. When I had the all seasons off and the snow tires put on, I asked the service dept just to do a quick check to make sure there was nothing in the tires themselves. They told me the light will come on for as littla as a 2psi difference between tires and that since it had been cold, they think that was the cause. They told me to wait until spring when I put them back on and see if it comes back on in the spring.

IdaCrue
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

My TPMS light came on a little while back and I check the tires. One was low so I reinflated all the tires to 35 psi. I drove for a couple days and the light came on again. I took it to the tire shop I usually deal with and they found a sheet metal screw in the tire. I had them rotate the tires while they had it up on the lift. Looks like the TMPS system works great. The manager at the tire shop told me that the Conti's wear out pretty quickly, and that I should come back for a set of better tires when that happens. Didn't charge for the repair or the rotate.

Return to “Rogue Forum”