About the front wheel bearings.

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
itinifni
Car: 2006 Quest SE Special Edition.

As my 2006 has entered into the realm of the 160,000 mile area, some of the wear parts have, well, started to wear. Case in point, the passenger side wheel bearing. Upon getting the replacement, I had decided that I would work on it on my own. I have all the tools to do this, like air, impact guns, and torque wrenches. If you are not intimidated by removing the axle end from the steering knuckle, it is fairly uncomplicated. There is pushing and pulling, and removal of the bottom end of the strut involved as well.
ONE THING THAT MUST BE DONE IS..... removal of the ABS sensor. If you do not do this, you will damage it. the sensor itself goes into a hole in the bearing's rear side to do it's work. Not taking it out will result in the ABS light, Slip light, and Traction Control to be disabled. All you need is a 10 mm socket, some PB Blaster, and some patience. FSM States that the sensor must be pulled straight out. Not wiggled out. It's a long little piece of plastic that can break, so be careful. I learned this the hard way. Replacement sensors can be had for a little over $120.00, About as much as the replacement bearing. Save your money, and do it before you remove the bearing. In fact, make it the second thing you take off, after the wheel. Learn from my stupidity. Thank you. Image This is what I discovered after replacing the bearing. That dark plastic thing is the sensor. Behind it, is the hole it is supposed to go in. Image This. This is what blowing $120.00 looks like.

t bags
Car: 93 ve b13

Nice write up..i would of done both fronts at the same time

itinifni

Maybe, but why replace a part that is not failing? I understand this is the way brakes are done, and I do that all the time when I am replacing brakes.

ricebike
Car: 1989 240sx se 5spd (donated to my brother in law)
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

itinifni wrote:Maybe, but why replace a part that is not failing? I understand this is the way brakes are done, and I do that all the time when I am replacing brakes.
you missed his first sentence of his post:
As my 2006 has entered into the realm of the 160,000 mile area, some of the wear parts have, well, started to wear. Case in point, the passenger side wheel bearing.
:whistle:

thanks OP for pointing it out to remove the sensor before tackling the r & r of that part

itinifni

Just wanted to provide my insight, just in case someone does this without research. Like I did. Yes, I was foolish.

Return to “Quest Forum”