A-Series 310 Datsun

Here you'll find topics regarding the Datsun B210, 310, 610, 710, 810, 1200, and lots of other models - All are welcome!
swtslvrmonkey
Car: 1981 Datsun 310 Gx

Sup guys, my family has had this piece of junk (so to speak) since i was like 5 yrs old. Passed on to me... Im not really "new" to this forum, but haven't posted much. Let me know what you guys think:

Bandit240
Car: 1980 Datsun 720 King Cab

Ah yes the FWD 310's. They are cool little cars. It most probley has an A14 motor in it and thats a very stout motor. Ive got one in a 210 wagon with 254,000 on it. Fix that car up or sell it to someone who would. Where do you live, if your close to SC ill make an offer on it.

swtslvrmonkey

Yes you guessed it right, although, the original engine was an A15, but somehow water got in the combustion chambers and ruined the internals.

However, back about 8 years ago, my dad and i (before forums existed and such) we got the engine off a 1979 Datsun 310 GX coupe, the A14, and attempted to swap it right in. However, the only problem we encountered was that the tranny's did not coincide. The A15 came with a 4-speed, while the A14 came with 5, at least that was my understanding back then- i didnt know so much about cars.

Somehow my dad and i managed to finish the swap and the engine turned over after a few tries. Everything went great until we encountered a major problem. when we took it for a test drive we realized: the gears go in reverse order!!

Even to today it runs with the gears like that. Crazy story huh? But yes right now it momentarily has an A14. The engine (according to the gauge cluster from the other datsun) has about 66K miles on it. I'm pretty surprised at the very low mileage.

Unfortunately i live in Socal, but I don't think i would sell it, i like this car very much, i think im going to fix her up a bit. I want to fix her suspension a bit, like a possible bushing kit (don't know where i could find one), better shocks, and lower her a bit. Axles are terrible, im also looking into that also, as well as better tires, if not wheels.

Anyone has any ideas????

Modified by swtslvrmonkey at 5:57 PM 11/13/2005

Bandit240
Car: 1980 Datsun 720 King Cab

Why didnt you just use the 5sp that was on the A14 motor.

skillet

60mm flares, 15X8" mesh with a neg offset, and an oil cooler on the outside with the lines running through the bumper......hotness.

swtslvrmonkey

Bandit240 wrote:Why didnt you just use the 5sp that was on the A14 motor.
Prolly a bit of misunderstanding: i am using the 5 speed tranny. We pulled the A14 out of the 79 310 Coupe along with its 5-speed tranny. For some reason the A15 (to my knowledge) came with a 4-speed, the original A15 in my car only had 4 gears . Somehow ( I honestly can't tell you) when installing the A14 with its tranny into the hatchback, it didnt quite fit in directly, so my dad made a modification to where all 5 speeds came out in reverse order. i honestly have no idea, ima ask my dad again, hes been out of it lately. Bah I need to learn more about what really happened.

Car runs very smoothly, the only thing it lacks (aside from power) is control.
skillet wrote:60mm flares, 15X8" mesh with a neg offset, and an oil cooler on the outside with the lines running through the bumper......hotness.

I don't know very much about those flare-a-ma-jingers, since im not quite familiar with body modifications, maybe you can tell me more bout them (i.e. where i could get some, how to mod...etc), maybe you have tried installing some, might be pretty neat, especially with a negative offset wheel. 8" width wheels are way fat, IMO.

On a similar note, i do happen to like the 15X8" ATS Cup, or the ATS Classic: (Cup- left Classic- right)

I don't think there is a 114.3 lug pattern on these since they are mainly for most VW vehicles, although i could be wrong.

A very horrible photoshop with the Cups:

Im doing a bit of research on the B12's suspension and brake systems. I need bigger brakes and a better/stiffer suspension....

Modified by swtslvrmonkey at 10:57 PM 11/14/2005
Modified by swtslvrmonkey at 11:01 PM 11/14/2005

skillet

a few companies make flares for 240s, but i doubt you would be able to find any fit to that car. probably need to get flares for something else and do a little shaping to make them fit. raceonusa.com sells 2 types for 240s, the real PJ bon ones, and their own knockoff carbon ones. as far as wheels, i was thinking something like this, from my friends corolla. 15x8 -12. flipped 3pc espilon mesh.

swtslvrmonkey

*At the moment im greatly concerned over the car's maneuverability and suspension capabilities. ANyone have any idea for possible suspension upgrade?

*If i really want to get a set of deep dish, i gotta make sure i do it right, i bet those wheels are heavy, i could be wrong. IMO i should go with a 14" diameter if i keep the brakes stock.

Ima do a little research on the braking system of a b12 at the junkyard this weekend- if its compatible with my 310's brakign system, then i might do a possible big brake upgrade. If it works i'll then go with a 15" diameter, which will then mean i need some flares, am i right? Or is it really not necessary?

We shall see this weekend...

skillet

not heavy at all. thats not chrome, its just polished. to be honest, i dont see that car doing much damage to mountain roads or autocross courses without some serious money dumped into it. id just make it look sick and old school, and use it for a daily.

swtslvrmonkey

that was momentarily my idea, to get her on the road. She runs wonderfully, its just a matter of literally Staying ON the ground. She's been chillin there for about almost a year. Plus shes a great gas saver- almost next to the hybrids. But yea bro, a touch up on the exterior, suspension, and braking, and im set. Where could i get a set of those mesh wheels? i need some in 114.3 prolly 7" width.

skillet

best bet would be ebay or junkyards, but ebay will be expensive. you can find them on alot of oldschool imports in the junkyard though. (old celicas and Zcars especially) almost all old enkei/work/espilon mesh wheels (3pc) can be flipped. they look like high offset wheels on the car and you can get them cheap. flip the dish, get them polished, and you have $1000 wheels for $100 bux.

swtslvrmonkey

skillet wrote:best bet would be ebay or junkyards, but ebay will be expensive. you can find them on alot of oldschool imports in the junkyard though. (old celicas and Zcars especially) almost all old enkei/work/espilon mesh wheels (3pc) can be flipped. they look like high offset wheels on the car and you can get them cheap. flip the dish, get them polished, and you have $1000 wheels for $100 bux.
wouldnt flipping them be like super dangerous, i mean improper mounting of the wheel is consequential. I may be wrong (which i don't know how to do btw)As far as getting them repolished is it expensive to get them repolished? Where would i take my wheels to get it polished. thanks alot bro for all the good info. Apologies for all the questions

Modified by swtslvrmonkey at 11:01 PM 11/16/2005

skillet

the wheels come in 3 pieces. usually the offset is high, and the back side is much deeper than the front.. you can take them apart and swap them so they have crazy lip/low offset. as far as safety, people have been flipping wheels for a long time. back in the day you could order wheel halfs and basicly set it up for whatever offset you wanted. they dont make these wheels any more, so its junkyards or nothing. he also has a set of 13x10 espilons that look crazy. i saw a pair go on ebay for over 1000

the place he had them polished, and i had my Onis polished is called nu-wheel. they do an unbelievable job, and make aluminum look like chrome. they also fill all the scratches and repair any rash. its not cheap, around 150 a wheel. look in your phonebook for local wheel repair shops.

http://www.nuwheel.com/

nsrZ32
Car: 90 300ZX TT, 78 280Z, 71 521 Pickup, 98 Sentra 2.0 SE, 02 Altima 3.5 SE, 01 Focus s2

Nice unique car. Definitely a keeper Post up some more pictures of it if you get a chance.

swtslvrmonkey

definately its a really sweet and fun car to drive, especially since the gears go in reverse order (a very long story behind it). I was actually thinking about selling it, since the car is not used at all. The car only has 60K miles, and it runs like a champ. So in the meantime, what do you guys think i should do?

ytboy4ever
Car: '87 TII '92 Coupe '86 CRX - dd

skillet wrote:the wheels come in 3 pieces. usually the offset is high, and the back side is much deeper than the front.. you can take them apart and swap them so they have crazy lip/low offset. as far as safety, people have been flipping wheels for a long time. back in the day you could order wheel halfs and basicly set it up for whatever offset you wanted. they dont make these wheels any more, so its junkyards or nothing. he also has a set of 13x10 espilons that look crazy. i saw a pair go on ebay for over 1000

the place he had them polished, and i had my Onis polished is called nu-wheel. they do an unbelievable job, and make aluminum look like chrome. they also fill all the scratches and repair any rash. its not cheap, around 150 a wheel. look in your phonebook for local wheel repair shops.

http://www.nuwheel.com/
do you have any more info on wheel flipping? If you had a 3-pc wheel and flipped it wouldn't you end up with the opposite offset you started with. If this is the case you wouldn't want to start with a high offset wheel like +35 because you would end up with an almost unuseable -30ish offset. Am I thinking about this right?

continental_drift
Car: 1991 240sx coupe - in progress - zeal function V6, ssr formula reverse, trust SP. more to come.

ytboy4ever wrote:
do you have any more info on wheel flipping? If you had a 3-pc wheel and flipped it wouldn't you end up with the opposite offset you started with. If this is the case you wouldn't want to start with a high offset wheel like +35 because you would end up with an almost unuseable -30ish offset. Am I thinking about this right?
that's kinda the point though.

anyways, you are correct if what you're saying is that it wouldn't be practical.

swtslvrmonkey

If i were to put my car up for sale, how much do you guys think it would sell for. THe car runs great, probably just needs new tires, and thats about it. What do you guys think?

swtslvrmonkey

anyone here on the boards happen to have or know someone who has a 310 Coupe Hatchback?

swtslvrmonkey

swtslvrmonkey wrote:If i were to put my car up for sale, how much do you guys think it would sell for. THe car runs great, probably just needs new tires, and thats about it. What do you guys think?
Im really considering selling this car. How much do you guys think i could get for it. Aside from the bad paint and squisky suspension, the car runs just fine and has no issues. Its momentarily at "no operating" because noone at home drives it. How much could i sell it for?

Car: 79 datsun 310

swtslvrmonkey wrote:anyone here on the boards happen to have or know someone who has a 310 Coupe Hatchback?
i just bought a 79 310 Coupe Hatchback with 111,000 miles no rust and im the 2nd owner runs and drives great paid $400 for it

NSR_s30
Car: '99 Ford F250 7.3L Diesel, '71 Datsun 240Z

I think my neighbors down the street used to own one of those forever ago...or maybe it was a Chevette. Nice 310 though.

Return to “Other Datsun Cars”