A question for you suspension gurus please.

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
MAXIMUS Nismo
Car: 95 240sx SE

The car is a 95 Zenki with a about 160XXX miles.
Suspension currently consist of KYB AGX and eibach pro-kit all round installed Dec of 2004.
Bushings are all original.

Here's what's going on. The settings on the AGXs are usually F2 R4. I used to keep it at F3 R6 but I hurt my back and can't drive for long at those settings anymore.
1st Question
With the age of the car, how do I refresh the handling without making the ride harsher? I was looking into replacing the anti-sway bar bushings with polyurethane and the other suspension bushing with OEM rubber. Please advise.

2nd Question
This is the more serious issue for me. If I go over a line in the road at speed, like a raised expansion joint, especially if it's around a corner, the hops left or right.
Let me try and explain. For those of you who live in MD and drive around the 495W to 95N area, College park side of the beltway;
When you take that right hand corner from 495 to 95N, the rear of the car will hop to the left while in mid corner when I hit that bump that stretches across the lane.

It's very scary and disconcerting. It even happens if I'm driving in a straight line but not very pronounced. I know it's there because of my knowledge of how the car feels.This issue was barely and I mean barely noticeable when the AGX and prokits were first installed.

I hope someone can help.
Thanks in advance.

Gabes13
Car: rb20det s13

Bigger sway bars are definitely a great way to improve handling without much sacrifice to comfort. I don't under stand you second question much, but it sounds like common wheel hop from sour subframe bushings. What are their condition?

MAXIMUS Nismo
Car: 95 240sx SE

Gabes13 wrote:Bigger sway bars are definitely a great way to improve handling without much sacrifice to comfort. I don't under stand you second question much, but it sounds like common wheel hop from sour subframe bushings. What are their condition?
Thanks for the info about the sway bars. I already decided to change those when I have some extra money. As for the subframe bushings, they are old as hell. Probably need to be replaced.
If I change to polyurethane subframe bushings, will the ride quality get harsher?

Gabes13
Car: rb20det s13

Im not too sure on the subframe bushings and ride quality, as I have yet to change mine. I know that polyurethane bushings on control arms will affect performance and comfort bc they tend to bind. Idk if the same is for subframe bushings though bc it sees different loads.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”