A Question about Modding and Leases

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
NautcaSprt6

My friend just leased a 2007 M35 and wants to add some mods but is worried about giving the car back with mods.He wants to do pillar posts, the lip spoiler, tints, and rims, but what will happen if he gives the car back with all the mods still on the car?

Does he have to give the car back like he got it?If he leaves everything on there, will they accept the car back or are they gonna tell him to remove everything.

All input appreciated.ThanksNS6

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

One of our Moderators is a Finance Manager at a dealership ... I'll see if he can provide some insight to this question!

Z

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

That is an excellent question. The best advice I can give first and foremost is to read the contract very carefully, front and back. In most leases, anything bolted to the car has to stay with the car upon turn-in at lease maturity. This is why I would never buy mods from the dealer on a leased vehicle. A purchase is something else entirely, but if I were modding a leased car I would do it outside of the dealer where I purchased it so that I could be sure of none of that paperwork making it's way with my contract to the lessor.

This is a total contradiction of what I do at my job. I lease cars and trucks all day long with THOUSANDS of dollars in dealer-installed mods. At Hummer especially.

Now, if the lessor doesn't know that you have modded the vehicle and you take the parts off and reinstall the stock parts, you'll be fine. Many don't like the windows to be tinted, but again, read the contract. You can ask your salesman for a blank copy of the contract before you agree to buy the car and have an attorney review it if you like.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Thanks for the help, Andy!

Z

NautcaSprt6

Well its really not a bolt on mod, mainly exterior mods that are applied with 3m tape.But just so I know, what can the dealer do if i did bring back the car with exterior mods?

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

Well, in this case I would consult with the dealer, talk to their finance manager or lease return manager (however their store is structured) and get their input. And I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'll say again to read the contract carefully. Your answer may very well be there in black and white.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Andy's right -

Best case scenario, the dealer keeps the mods and you get nothing for your investment.

Worst case, they remove the mods and charge you $110 an hour shop rate for the effort (and discard or give away your add-ons).

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”