A noob questions

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
vitaminZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300ZX

I have a 2+2 NA (LHD), and i want the HKS hyper exhaust, or any that share the same angel positioning (the single tips sticking out on each side)...is this possible?..i've seen a few with it on but i just need to verify it..maybe i seen JDM Z's with it on.

Thanks!

Andrew
Modified by vitaminZ at 10:04 AM 3/12/2010

ImmortalZ
Car: 1990 300zx Twin turbo

ya u can have it on i had it on my na its the best exhaust and now i have on my tt

vitaminZ

Yeah thanks for the info, because i read somewhere that the gas tank on a 2+2 can't clear it :S..maybe i read wrong

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

The HKS Hiper exhaust, besides being the ugliest exhaust available for the Z32, is not available for the 2+2.

That's because the 2+2 was the most popular variety in Japan, and HKS wanted to sell that crap to the Americans so they can point and laugh.

HKS part number: 3106-EX003

It does flow the best, but it looks like it belongs on a Civic.

Welcome n00b

vitaminZ

So i can't use any kind of exhaust that sticks out from that angle? my cars a 2+2

BigTDogg (MA)

Has nothing to do with the angle, has to do with the length of a 2+2 versus a 2+0 and the position of your gas tank.

The best value for a 2+2 exhaust, IMO, is this one:

The GReddy SP2 for the 2+2

It's full stainless steel (Hiper is carbon steel pipes) and cheaper than the Hiper. More importantly, it fits your car.

car nut
Car: GT500.

BigTDogg (MA) wrote:The HKS Hiper exhaust, besides being the ugliest exhaust available for the Z32
What's so ugly about it? I think they look pretty cool.

tmeyer29
Car: 1990 300zx TT , 04 Yamaha R6

car nut wrote:What's so ugly about it? I think they look pretty cool.
I have the HKS. I would say it looks cool from certain angles but I do actually think it can look ugly. If I had the right funds I would buy something else but since I have the exhaust already I am more concerned about things I dont have .

BigTDogg (MA)

car nut wrote:
What's so ugly about it? I think they look pretty cool.
Other than not complimenting the lines of the car at all and looking like it belongs on a ricer's Honda, nothing. I just hate it. Some people think it looks good, and to each their own, I think it's fugly. Sure, it flows like 2-3 WHP more than a Specialty Z 2.5" exhaust, but the hideous looks aren't worth 2-3 WHP, IMO.

SZ is not only one of the best looking, but one of the best flowing exhausts for the Z32 coupe. I don't know if they have a 2+2 variant out yet.

REDWINTERZ
Car: 1994 Nissan 300ZX (Aztec Red with Black Leather)

Considering how cheap it is, and that it flows incredibly well (one less bend than everything else if I'm correct), why can't you just cut and weld on new mufflers that don't look so ricey?

And I'm just speaking out my @$$ here. I have no welding experience. Just food for thought I guess...

BigTDogg (MA)

REDWINTERZ wrote:Considering how cheap it is, and that it flows incredibly well (one less bend than everything else if I'm correct), why can't you just cut and weld on new mufflers that don't look so ricey?

And I'm just speaking out my @$$ here. I have no welding experience. Just food for thought I guess...
No worries, it's a reasonable question. What you've described is pretty much what SZ did in designing their cat-back exhaust. They minimized the bends and selected a muffler with a side inlet to allow the mufflers to be fit at the proper angle.

The one big pro for the Hiper for YEARS was that it was the best flowing exhaust. Like I said SZ has come very close with their 2.5" system. Now that they offer a 3" turbo back system, there is no argument for flow versus the Hiper, the 3" system is far superior.

When you consider that the HKS isn't even stainless steel, it's not that great of a bargain, IMO. Unless you live in Texas or somewhere where it never snows, and you're not near salt water, an exhaust system made out of stainless steel should be a priority. Again, IMO. It does add cost, but at least it won't ever rust through.

Some people like the way the Hiper looks. I'm not one of them. I know the owner/moderator of the forum has one, so I'll keep my bashing to a minimum and just state facts.

REDWINTERZ
Car: 1994 Nissan 300ZX (Aztec Red with Black Leather)

Thanks for the info! I'm not big on HKS either lol... And I can definitely see where stainless would be a plus. I don't get any snow, but I do drive o the coast and the last thing I want is the Z getting rust spots on the exhaust. Even surface rust would scare the crap out of me!

tmeyer29
Car: 1990 300zx TT , 04 Yamaha R6

REDWINTERZ wrote: Even surface rust would scare the crap out of me!
haha I think you need to visit wisconsin, ill show you what rust is really about as it starts to consume half the cars on the road

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”