A little sr tuning help

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
GorillaClub
Car: Racing...

hey guys I have a stock sr20det stock t25. Mods are as follows: FMIC, BOV, Megan Manifold, Turbo outlet down pipe and exhaust and a fule pressure regulator and r32 pump. When i bought the car it had what looked like a home depot made boost controller in the vacum line that goes from the wastegate to the hotpipe nipple. WIth this on it ran a solid 9psi with no spiking or hesitation and at about 57psi for the fuel pressure. But the car stunk of gasoline. Well being greedy I bought a passport BC just for the time being to get a little more fun out of it. I installed the BC and set it to stock boost and the car ran just fine. I up the boost slowly and now heres where the issue starts.

When I go full thrttle in 2nd gear it will jump to 14psi and then settle to 11psi but when its building boost and climbing the rpm's it pulls hard but then gets what I can best describe as a hicup. IT happens repeatedly until it settles in the boost then pulls like normal...

3rd gear is the same issue but it slowly builds the boost to 13psi but gets "hicups" along the way.

Any idea what this could be or suggestions to make it run better? I am thinking 57psi is way to much for the FPR to be set at... but not sure what to set it at.

IS the BC crap? I am temped to just run wastegate pressure till I get the t28 and z32maf and injectors to get it tuned.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

43.5 psi is the factory pressure setting for fuel. You were sucking on gas because of that. More than likely, since the motor shouldn't need any extra fuel with a stock turbo flow of up to 13 psi (the injectors will start to max out duty cycle past 13 psi), the car is running rich and giving you your hiccups. The factory ECU knows that for X amount of air crossing the MAF it needs to tell the injectors to spray Y amount of fuel. You up the pressure in the fuel system and Y becomes much higher, and then you run really rich and start getting overrich dead spots in your power band.

I'm not sure what a passport boost controller is. My google fu is weak on that one. It sounds like a bleeder style, which are notorious for boost creep and spiking. For set it and forget it applications, I usually suggest an HKS wastegate actuator. They're usually around $100 and a direct replacement for the Garrett actuator.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”