A few cautionary words about repairs

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Greetings all,

I am submitting this as a caveat of sorts to those who may come through this forum looking for tips and advice before tackling a mechanical repair on any G37 convertible.

I have extensive experience diagnosing and repairing just about every problem with this system. I have seen what happens when you try to put the top up in a very low garage, and what happens when you forget your gym bag in the trunk. This is a very simple, but very complicated and very expensive system to repair so accuracy and patience are paramount.

There are 23 steps in top opening sequence, a lag in response or signal loss in one of ~50 inputs the computer is watching for during top operation will cause the system to stop. If a sticking valve or sensor is keeping the computer from proceeding from one step to the next, the system might resume function (temporarily) after the ignition is cycled. Diagnosing almost any fault seems near impossible without access to a Consult III+ and a solid grasp of the system. There are a few good techs I have worked with over the years who lose a days pay with these issues.

Relatively minor repairs like gasket or seal replacement, headliner and cable replacement, or replacement of the infamous rubber grommets should be able to be done without computer support, however that may not end up being the case and the top may become stuck where it stopped. If something goes wrong and you need to have it towed to a dealer. I would strongly suggest using the hydraulic release screw and slowly closing the roof and trunk and having the car set on the roll back with the car's nose towards the rear of the truck.

There are two things I recommend to all convertible owners I meet. Get a very good extended warranty, and keep the battery charged.

:dblthumb:

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

^^ Great advice Steve.

I am the original owner of my 2009 Vert which was one of the first MTs available in my area in June 2009. It is not my daily driver and purchased an extended warranty and always keep her hooked up to a Battery Tender when left in the garage for extended periods of time. I have had NO issues with the roof but an ounce of prevention and proper preventative maintenance should keep your Vert in tip-top shape!

megalodon
Car: 2003 G35 6MT
2012 G37s 7AT Convertible

I know this is an old thread but it brings up and interesting point. Can someone tell me where the hydraulic release screw is? I haven't a clue and it would be a good thing to know before I need it. :confused:

66Cad

Hi Steve,I was reading your posts on the forum. I am brand new to this. I am looking to buy the mentioned car. Looking at it tomorrow. I'm a little concerned now about the top. I don't want to get into something that's a money pit. I currently have a Lex SC430 that has been trouble free. Looking at the Q for updated features and more sporty.
I'd greatly appreciate your advice.
Dave.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”