A/C Issue help please!

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Progen
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL w/ Premium Package
Mods: Clear LED Taillights, LED Foglights, RGB footwell lights (OPT7), Red trim all around interior.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I have a 2015 Rogue SL with around 130K on it. Recently, on longer journeys (around 40 minutes or more), the vents will cease to blow air when the A/C is on. As soon as I turn the A/C off (with Fan still blowing), the airflow will come back a few minutes later, then I'll have to repeat the process when the airflow slows to a crawl again. I have checked the drain hose and its good and clear. My guess is the condenser (or evaporator) is freezing up and a sensor of some sort isnt stopping the temp from going to too low, and causing the a/c system to freeze. When I turn off the compressor, whatever is frozen in there is allowed to thaw and hence why airflow comes back. How would I go about fixing this issue?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Your TXV Valve is stuck open. The TXV's job is to regulate refrigerant flow through the evap (the part that cools the incoming air). When it sticks open, the evap gradually becomes so cold that it ices over. That obstructs the incoming air, so not only does it stop cooling, the airflow often drops to nothing. When you cycle the system off, the ice melts and the A/C starts working again until the next ice-up. Very common issue on gen2 Rogues, as well as a number of other models.

Progen
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL w/ Premium Package
Mods: Clear LED Taillights, LED Foglights, RGB footwell lights (OPT7), Red trim all around interior.

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:44 am
Your TXV Valve is stuck open. The TXV's job is to regulate refrigerant flow through the evap (the part that cools the incoming air). When it sticks open, the evap gradually becomes so cold that it ices over. That obstructs the incoming air, so not only does it stop cooling, the airflow often drops to nothing. When you cycle the system off, the ice melts and the A/C starts working again until the next ice-up. Very common issue on gen2 Rogues, as well as a number of other models.
I'm assuming this txv fix is non diy and a shop will have to release the freon and so forth to replace?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You do need to have the refrigerant purged and replaced, but you could do the mechanical portion of the work yourself. The TXV is on the firewall where the low and high side lines go through it to reach the evap. Only one screw holds it in place. The restraints on the low side tube also need to come loose so the tubes can be pulled back. Use new o-rings and lube them lightly with PAG oil before insertion.

Return to “Rogue Forum”