A/C Help on 2010 Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Chancy
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue

New here and need help. I am working on my daughters 2010 Rogue. Here A/C started blowing 80 deg F out the vents and we are in South Louisiana so hot right now. With gauges (and compressor on) pressures were Low: 15 PSI, High: 250 PSI. The discharge hose, from compressor to condenser was very hot, upper condenser very hot. I added a little refrigerant and the pressures changed to Low: 15 PSI, High 320 PSI. I bled some gas back out. This told me I had a blocked condenser. I ordered a new condenser, filter/dryer, and a discharge hose. while waiting on these parts I suggested to my daughter that she shouldn't run the A/C while driving to work and errands. Three days later I changed out the condenser, filter/dryer, and discharge hose, evacuated the system and then starting adding refrigerant to the system. I added refrigerant to 80 PSI and the compressor kicked on. No change, with the compressor running the pressures were Low: 80 PSI, High: 80 PSI. I suspected the compressor. After talking to my daughter she admitted she ran the A/C "a little" in the 3 days waiting on parts and I probably did not bleed enough refrigerant out and she was running the A/C with a High side of 270 to 300PSI which probably killed it??...thus the lack of pressure build. I ordered and installed a new compressor and flushed the discharge hose. Evacuated the system and now I add refrigerant and I get 80 PSI on the Low side real quick, the high side doesn't build and the compressor will not kick on. I've checked the Clutch fuse, and the clutch wire connection at the compressor. The car was not driven while waiting on the new compressor. I am a bit frustrated and stumped at the moment. I do all the work on my daughter car for she is a single mom and can't afford shop prices, so that is really the last option. History if it helps, over a year ago I changed out the compressor, it was working good but clutch went out and galled the mount on the compressor to where a new clutch could not be install. So compressor and clutch was changed. A/C ran good for 8 months then I had to change the expansion and system ran good until a week ago.
Any thoughts?
Regards,
Charlie

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The TXV is the "bridge" between the high and low sides of the system, so if the outlet reed valve in the compressor is good (which I'd assume it is on a new compressor), then for a low side charge to not reach the high side, the TXV has to be clogged or stuck shut. Maybe your blocked condenser wasn't blocked and the problem was a broken dessicant bag in the Receiver-Drier. If so, there are probably dessicant pebbles blocking the TXV. That will mean you need to replace the TXV and flush the high side plumbing between the R-D and TXV. You replaced everything else, so flushing the rest of the system may not be necessary. Once the TXV is blocked, pretty much nothing can enter the evap and low side.

Chancy

Thanks VStar650CL, what you say makes sense. So I need to replace the expansion valve and flush the line from the condenser to it and hopefully that will do it?

Regards,
Charlie

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome. Yes, hopefully none of the dessicant got through the low side and the compressor after the initial repair. If it did you'll end up having to flush the whole system, but there's a good chance the TXV was already clotted and not letting anything through. With the TXV being removed anyway, I think I'd also back-flush the low side line and evap while it's apart.

Chancy

A follow up. VStar650CL I did replace the expansion valve and backflush the evaporator and low side line while I had them open. After evacuating the system, I added refrigerant and low side = 90 psi, high side = 0 psi. Huh! Quite confusing and frustrating. Making me doubt what i know about A/C. I decided to disconnect the manifold and step back and think. I bled down the low side and it bled down quick, as it did when I checked the system after installing a new compressor. I didn't think too much about it until I disconnected the low side hose (from the return line) and I heard a little air movement; I put my finger over the schrader valve and felt a suction coming from the line! The low side line was still on a vacuum! I disconnected the low side hose from the manifold and looked inside the fittings only to see that the o ring/gasket in the fitting (connecting to the manifold) had rolled over and was blocking any flow. So, since the compressor change I have only been charging the low side of the manifold and not the system or even the hose. I say since the the compressor change for before that I was using my manifold and the supply/vacuum hose started leaking a wee bit and I noticed the gasket in the fittings was about shot (it's about 20 years old). I went to Autozone to get replacement gaskets which they didn't have but rented me a fairly new manifold and the hose fittings appeared to have good gaskets, so I took it and planned to repair my hose later. So been using Autozone's since then. Using my old low side hose on Autozone's set I vacuumed the system again and added a little gas, Low side= 46 psi, high side= 45 psi. I started the car and finished charging the system and all is well. I don't think I needed to replace the expansion valve, but now I have a totally flushed system with a new condenser, dryer, compressor, and expansion vlave, so she should be good for a few years at least. Regarding the rolled o ring/gasket in Autozone's manifold set, I cannot really blame them for I looked it over at the store and the gaskets looked good. Having had a little leak on my old manifold I did tighten the hoses pretty good and then backed off and snugged them up again. I probably caused the issue then (I do have big hands and sometimes overtighten things ).

All is well that ends well,
Charlie

Chancy

P.S. I did tell Autozone about the issue with the rolled gasket, which by the time I got it to the store it had straighten back and looked normal?! They said they would replace the gasket for the next user.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

All's well that ends well (but that sure is a weird one anyway). Glad you got it straightened away!
:dblthumb:

Return to “Rogue Forum”