9MM ammo shortage?

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
mott6904
Car: rb20 big turbo big cams s13, 97 kouki, turbo audi a4,turbo busa

Is anyone having issues finding 9mm ammo? I just bought a glock 19 and i could only find one box of ammo out of all of the stores around me.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

it's a pain in the a** finding any of the popular calibers right now

I'd like to find some .45 and 9mm Hydrashocks or HST's

and some more .45 fmj's

bobotech

Thank effing god for reloading.

I have at least 1000 of each popular caliber already loaded up and probably at least enough components to load up 2 thousand more of each of the popular pistol calibers.

I have enough components to load up about 800 223 as well, i need more bullets, I have plenty of brass, just not enough bullets.

In 308, have enough components to load up about 2000 rounds.

Reloading FTW.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

I got boxes of 5.56 and 6.8 SPC hitting my mom's doorstep as we speak. Gotta grab what you can get. All the ammo is in short supply these days and it will likely just get worse.

4cefed
Car: 92 240SX Coupe
03 SRT-4
Various Dodge POSs

Welcome to six months ago.

Reloading components are at a shortage also. Federal just won a military contract for like 10 million small rifle primers, between that and their own line of ammo they said flat out they won't be producing primers for the reloading market until next year.

Things are starting to trickle back into the shelves. I actually bought a 100 round bulk pack of Winchester 9mm at walmart like a week ago. I have reloading supplies, but primers are out of stock everywhere.

mott6904
Car: rb20 big turbo big cams s13, 97 kouki, turbo audi a4,turbo busa

Im new to the gun world and dont know much about the different bullets out there. What is a good 9mm defense ammo and should i just get the cheapest range ammo i can find?

Mr1der

it wouldn't be an issue if the goddamn gunshop scare tactics would cease.

hell, pre election, it was easy to get what you wanted and go shoot that day....

f***in' idiots...

4cefed
Car: 92 240SX Coupe
03 SRT-4
Various Dodge POSs

mott6904 wrote:Im new to the gun world and dont know much about the different bullets out there. What is a good 9mm defense ammo and should i just get the cheapest range ammo i can find?
I guess it depends on what you are defending. If you plan to keep it in your house, I would reccomend either Magsafe or Glasser safety slugs. They have a thin copper jacket with lots of tiny "shot" packaged inside. Magsafes were developed for air marshals. If you miss your target, they shouldn't be lethal on the other side of a sheetrocked wall for instance, yet they do massive damage to your target. So, keeps your loved ones and your neighbors safer if you miss your mark.

If you plan on every day carry, I would suggest a hollowpoint from Cor-Bon. They have top-notch quality and the loads are usually pretty hot and perform well. Hornady's "TAP" line looks interesting too, but I haven't tried any.

As for the range, I guess the cheapest crap you can find will work. I think Wolf is offering steel cased 9mm ammo now. There is a debate on weather or not the cases are harder on you gun or not, I try and get the Winchester "White Box" bulk pack of 100 rounds from wal-mart. They are almost as cheap as reloading spent cases which is pretty cheap.

If you do get some specialized defense rounds, get some extras that you can shoot just to make sure your gun feeds them reliably. The best round in the world won't help you at all if it won't chamber.

Mr1der

try various weights of Federal hydrashock, Speer Gold dot, Winchester SXT and Remington Goldensaber. these are all tried and proven bullet designs.

pick whichever your gun shoots best and functions with.

I've run some TAP through my XD...it's got a little more flip from the added pressure but it functioned fine and shot well.

my XD likes 230gr Hydrashocks the best though

Return to “The Great Outdoors”