99 R50 ABS / Obd issue

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Schneidereit
Car: Pathfinder R50 Jan 1999

Hey there troops
My ABS lights been on for years
No ABS brakes naturally
No one including Nissan Dealer can connect to OBD1 14 pin port ... grrrr

Flying blind to remedy issue

Anyone else had to deal with this?
Cheers Mark

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

That's odd, I was under the impression OBDII was mandated from the 96 model year on. Whatever, might this help? A 14 to 16 pin adapter?

https://www.amazon.com/Goliton-Connecto ... 44&sr=8-26

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

You can determine the specific brake system malfunction code(s) stored in your ECU without using an OBD1 scanner. Read through pages BR-40, 41 in the factory service manual for this procedure. https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 999/br.pdf Page BR-52 lists the malfunction code descriptions. Basically, you will be sticking a wire in terminal-4 of that 14-pin connector and grounding it. The ABS light will then turn off and start to blink after 3 seconds. The codes are two digit numbers. The first code to be indicated when the ABS light starts to blink is the start code 12 which is indicated by 1 long blink followed by 2 short blinks. The stored malfunction code(s) will then be indicated in like manner until all the stored codes have been indicated by the blinking ABS light and then it will start over again at code 12. Up to 3 brake system malfunction codes can be stored in the ECU. This will get you started to figure out why your ABS light is staying on. Download the factory service manual brake system section from the link above. It will help you with correcting the issue(s) the self diagnostic procedure has flagged as malfunctions. Good luck.

Schneidereit
Car: Pathfinder R50 Jan 1999

Hey thanks for taking the time to reply I believe the auto electrician looked up this information yesterday and tried this procedure without luck

Bec you did not respond at all to the grounding procedure

This had the auto electrician baffled and naturally myself as well

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

To electrically ground terminal-4, put one end of a suitable length of wire into the connector terminal-4 and the other end of the wire onto any bare metal, any where on the body of the car.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”