99 I30 EGI engine harness breakage

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
tennisdoc

I have a 1999 I30 with only 21K. The Check Engine light came on and we took the car to the dealer where the found a bad coolant temp sensor and replaced it. The light remained on and the tech told me that a wire was broken in the EGI harness where it bends over the right rear of the engine. He said it was unusual for this to occur in such a low mileage car. He recommended replacing the entire EGI harness ($3000+) as he said it was likely that other wires were going to break.

I tried to work through Infiniti to see if they would cover the repair even though it was out of warrnaty but I am not having any luck. Any suggestions on how to get them cover this?Or should I just replace the one bad wire and remove the wire clamp at the back of the engine to reduce the stress on the harness?

ThanksBob

NISTECH

the reason they wont help you is because there is a TSB which states to repair the effected wire and remove the clamp. There are no provisions to replace the entire harness under the TSB guide lines. you will need to locate the break in the wire and splice it and seal it.

tennisdoc

Thanks. I repaired the broken wire and removed the clamp at the back of the engine to reduce the vibration stress.Bob

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”