99 altima knock noise when starting

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
Jrooga
Car: 1999 nissan altima 5 spd

i have a 99 nissan altima se that i had just recently got an oil change done on about a week ago, i went to start it this morning and heard two distinct knocks that sound like a piston rod. i am a bit worried thats the problem however when i had the oil changed they had to use a thicker oil since they did not have oil for my vehicle. i opted for thicker oil instead of thinner since the vehicle has over 296,000 miles and still seems to run pretty strong. i do get high mileage oil changes when needed. the only parts i have replaced since i got it 5 years ago is the egr valve, back pressure transducer, ignition lock cylinder, spark plugs and wires when i bought it, and the a/c condenser. the engine light is on due to either the catalytic system and or o2 sensor.

carldu
Car: 08 Titan

Could be a timing chain rattle.

sky5031
Car: 200sx ,240sx, 300zx ,altima, frontier

Keep in mind that thicker oil doesnt help a engine where temperature is below 50 degrees, it take more time for the oil to reach
all the bearings and lub the mains. Did they put the same grade and weight of oil in the engine? rule: lighter weigtht in winter 10w-30
summer 20w due higher heat. Ive done this to every Nissan and Datsun Ive owner (620,720,200sx 240sx .300zx frontier altimas
99-2000 and 2012, xterras 05 07) and all still run great . One other thing I thought about is the chain tenioners if they are leaking
more than they should it wil also drop the oil pressure when starting, you can also warp the thrust plate in the oil pump thats mounted to to the timing chain cover with heavy oil. There is a plug on the side of the block that will allow you
to hookup a oil pressure tester to it so you can see what pressure your getting at startup after so many rotations of the engine, you might want to check that out. Find out the oil grade first..sky5031

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”